Having a hard time creating a box pleat pocket...

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
TheJovialBrit

Having a hard time creating a box pleat pocket...

Post by TheJovialBrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Okay so I've come to this forum as a last resort. I've been trying for hours to make this pocket and I just can't figure it out. Once I figure it out I'll be good to go! I've tried watching tutorials, reading up on things even close to this and even tried watching them being actually sewn in the real life context. I've literally spent hours trying to find a way to do it but I just can't figure it out.

It's this type of pocket.. I'd truly appreciate any help.. I managed to find a quick version that somebody made but I can't systematically work out the sewing from it. I'm the type of person that would like to be able to make it from scratch, so that I can confidently do it in the future...

Thanks so much for your help!
Attachments
box_pleat.png
box_pleat.png (226.97 KiB) Viewed 927 times

LoriGriffiths

Re: Having a hard time creating a box pleat pocket...

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:56 pm

I did a pair of cargo pants in a video (almost 5 years ago, OMG). There are pockets that are very similar to what you are trying to do.

Watch the video at about 31:20 to hear the description of what the pattern looks like. Then skip to 32:59 and I explain how you use internal lines with fold angles to make the pockets. The current version of MD is different from what I had back then, but I think this will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGcpBq4DUPw

TheJovialBrit

Post by TheJovialBrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Yeah I tried following that and it just ended up bunching up and not working. I was actually watching this 10 minutes before you kindly replied. It's getting kinda frustrating now to be honest. I've spent almost 9 hours trying to work this out lol.

TheJovialBrit

Post by TheJovialBrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 pm

This is what happens when I try to follow what you demonstrated... I just don't know what I'm doing wrong lol.
Attachments
b94ce6bd82e4fb90656b910081fcc09a.png
b94ce6bd82e4fb90656b910081fcc09a.png (203.55 KiB) Viewed 914 times

TheJovialBrit

Post by TheJovialBrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm

I've actually asked a guy if I can pay him to make me a tutorial on how to do this. That's how desperate I am right now lol.

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm

I have a pre-made box pleated pocket for MD, over at ShareCG https://sharecg.com/v/91198/gallery/5/3 ... e-Avatar-c Feel free to use it.

As for your attempt, as shown in the screen capture... I would suggest that you do the folding first, then the sewing. Start with just the pocket pattern in the scene. Set the gravity to zero, so when the folds are applied, they work freely and fall into position without any other influences. Then, once the folds are right, then manually sew each side of each pleat individually, watching the seam connections in the 3D window to understand what is happening, and make corrections needed. Finally use Add Garment to bring in the shirt, etc., and sew the sides and bottom of the pocket to that garment. [As a note, in the screen capture. you are sewing the top edge of the pocket down, when you should leave it open. And the bottom edge doesn't have the extra sewing to hold the fold in place... you actually need two overlapping seam connections to make a proper pleat. Study the seam connection on my free pocket to see this.]

TheJovialBrit

Post by TheJovialBrit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks, Rosemary.. It was actually your file that I tried to work with earlier but couldn't understand the stitching lol. I actually made it on the floor and then sewed things together in the end lol. I'm not sure how to turn the gravity down though xD

The problem that I have now is that I have it set to "strengthen" because, no matter what material I use, it just acts so fragile, like silk lol. Any suggestions?
Attachments
90c63d4159071654d0763fcba0864307.png
90c63d4159071654d0763fcba0864307.png (139.41 KiB) Viewed 899 times

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:01 pm

Well, if you are still working at the scale indicated by the measurements in the first pic, then it's just too big. The weight of all that cloth is dragging it down, and making it sag more than it should. MD works on a real-world human scale. The fabric properties are based on that scale. My pocket is 131 mm on the vertical sides. Yours looks to be about 300. That will have an effect on how the fabric drapes. Also, the fabric presets will change that behavior. If you are using the default cloth, try switching to cotton, which is a bit stiffer.

As for the gravity trick, either go to the Scene tab in the Object Browser, scroll down to the line '3D simulation' expand the arrow, and choose Simulation Property (or right-click in the 3D window **away from any cloth or avatar** and find the Simulation Property line), then In the Property Editor box, find the gravity setting and change it to zero (default is -9800 which means normal gravity of downwards 9800 mm).