How Do I Keep a Portion of My Mesh Flat After Simulation

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
EvelyndraK

How Do I Keep a Portion of My Mesh Flat After Simulation

Post by EvelyndraK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:08 am

Hi,

First off, I'm using MD 7.5, not the most recent version.

Anyway, I have a portion of my mesh that is supposed to be triangular and is supposed to hold its shape and stay relatively flat after simulation. I can't get it to do what I want and I'm so new to MD that I really need some hand holding. Sorry, and thank you so much in advance.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about:

And here's the top I'm trying to make:

EvelyndraK

Re: How Do I Keep a Portion of My Mesh Flat After Simulation

Post by EvelyndraK » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:10 am

I deactivated that portion of my pattern to get it to retain its shape, but I'd sure like to know if this is what to do or if there's an easier way.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:39 pm

The fabric is being stretched out of shape. First, I'd turn on the stress map and see if you have red. If those straps are pulling really hard, it will be difficult to get it to hold it's shape.

Next, apply a different fabric to that shape. Set the Fabric preset to leather or something very stiff. That will not allow it to stretch so much.

Hope that helps.

Lori

EvelyndraK

Post by EvelyndraK » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks. I did try assigning leather to it but it didn't seem to help much. I had better results just by moving that piece of the top into position where I want it to be and just deactivating it before simulation.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Another problem you are having (judging by the top image) is your straps themselves.Do you see where they are flaring out at the ends? This means they are getting stretched by the pull of the overall garment, and in particular, the square back panel.

For parallel straps like those, I would suggest that you create a second fabric type, and make it transparent. Then make a wider strap consisting of parallel rows of visible and invisible straps. This will help two things: it reduces the stress and pull on those this strips of fabric (shoulder straps have to withstand quite a lot!), and will help keep the 'thin' straps in position.

...give me a few minutes to whip together an illustration... be right back!
Last edited by Rosemaryr on Wed May 01, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Here's the shot: It's a quick construction, so there are a few flaws in the design, but the concept should be clear.

I made the straps a bit wider, so you can see the effect fully. The invisible panels help maintain the spacing of the visible straps, and help support the dress overall. If you are planning to export the dress to another program, those invisible panels can be deleted/not selected for the export.

On another possible note: check the scale and mesh density of both the avatar and the cloth. The avatar is looking a bit chunky, and the cloth is as well. If you are using an imported avatar, check the import scale settings. MD works best when imported avatars are at close to the same scale as the native ones. This is because the cloth simulation properties are based on real-world measurements of thread count per centimeter, gravity, etc. If your imported avatar is coming into MD at too small a scale, the cloth behaves differently.

EvelyndraK

Post by EvelyndraK » Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 am

Thank you for this! I'm making the top for Sims 4 so the avatar is a Sims 4 model. It's an avatar that someone else made and offered up for download, so I'm not sure if it was made right or not.

Again, thank you for your help.

EvelyndraK

Post by EvelyndraK » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 am

To clarify, when you say to assign a transparent texture, do you mean a transparent png image file?

Also, sorry for all the questions I'm asking lately--I'm still learning.

Also, also, I gave up on this project--it was so frustrating--but thanks to your advice, I think I could actually finish it. It'll be my next project. :D

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri May 24, 2019 12:50 pm

EvelyndraK wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 am
To clarify, when you say to assign a transparent texture, do you mean a transparent png image file?

Also, sorry for all the questions I'm asking lately--I'm still learning.

Also, also, I gave up on this project--it was so frustrating--but thanks to your advice, I think I could actually finish it. It'll be my next project. :D
No need for an image file... just make sure you create a new fabric type for those pieces, then select it in the fabric list, and in the properties, find the Opacity setting and set it to zero. But that's just for visualization use in MD. If you are exporting the final garment to another program, such as sims, then simply unselect those pattern pieces and opt not to export them with the rest of the garment. Ie., export "Only Selected".