Reducing polycount

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
EvelyndraK

Reducing polycount

Post by EvelyndraK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Hello. I am super new to Marvelous Designer--and by that, I mean that I started learning about two hours ago, haha.

I have an outfit that someone made for Sims 3 that has a crazy high polycount--to the point that the mesh is wonked out in-game--and I'd like to try to reduce the polycount. I have to export the mesh from the file as an object file, but how do I import the file, reduce the polycount, then export it as an object file again? I hope this is making sense. There is this tutorial (http://theslyd.tumblr.com/post/15842830 ... -mesh-from) that talks about how to turns the tris to quads, but it involves Zbrush (which I don't have), and I use Blender for the meshes I make, Not familiar with anything else, to be honest. Thanks in advance. :)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Reducing polycount

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Luckily, MD 8 has the tools that you need.

First, use the "Import obj" - with the "as garment" option, and the "Trace 2D patterns from UVs" box checked. This will get your garment into MD in good form, especially if the original garment was made inside MD..... Switch to the mesh render display to check the mesh complexity. The default seems to be that imported OBJs will come in at the default 20 Particle Distance setting, which is fairly good density-wise. But we can do better, for those uses which need really low-poly meshes.

(Note: do check all sewing lines and do any fixes needed, if you want to further alter the garment. When I did a test of this, several seams were not sewn at all, and others were partly sewn. The OBJ->garment is a fairly new tool, and still has a few bugs, IMHO.)

Then, right-click on the garment in the 3D window, and choose the Remeshing option in the pop-up menu. You will see the triangles turn to nicely arrayed quads.
Lastly, with all pattern pieces selected, change the default PD of 20 to something like 30 or 40. This will reduce the poly count. Adjust the PD setting to the level you want... do some tests to end up with a good number for your end-use. Then, export the garment as an OBJ. I would use the 'Thin' and 'Welded' options.

EvelyndraK

Re: Reducing polycount

Post by EvelyndraK » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks for the help. Hopefully, I can follow along with your instructions without falling on my face too many times, lol. The learning curve is always such a joy! The mesh that I want to fix isn't mine; it's a mesh that I downloaded for Sims 3, so I don't have access to the original files--which may not be an issue. I'm able to dig into the Sims 3 file and extract the mesh as an object file, but that's all I can do. Again, thanks for the reply, and let's hope I don't have to keep coming back and asking questions!