Hello, doll pattern help please

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
Neen

Hello, doll pattern help please

Post by Neen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Hiya, I'm not sure where to put this but here goes!

I would like to use MD/Clo to make clothes for dolls. I have been trying to research how to replicate a correctly scaled model for one of the programs (not sure which one yet) so that I can say take a Monster High or Barbie doll real measurements and create clothing , testing it via MD and maybe printing it out to the exact scale via Adobe illustrator in order to get making the clothing.

I'm interested in MD as well for making clothing in Daz and maybe The Sims game too.

Primarily I want to use it for the dolls clothes and hopefully become better at actual sewing in the process. I can hand sew but patterns are difficult, especially adapting them for use with weird doll proportions.

I have Manuel Bastioni lab (though not played in it yet) and Daz. What program could I use to create a to scale doll model to port in to MD and how else could I do this, what would you do?

A Monster High doll for example is
4c7490d0caaab093463ecb15447c454c.jpg
4c7490d0caaab093463ecb15447c454c.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 183 times
3e6e789c6a999c7b334aa32b2c639743.jpg
3e6e789c6a999c7b334aa32b2c639743.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 183 times
I'm so lost! Happy to purchase anything to help achieve this (within my meagre funds!!)

Thank you for reading x

LoriGriffiths

Re: Hello, doll pattern help please

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:25 pm

I think I will be able to help you with some of this. I'm working on a pattern drafting program that will create patterns off of measurements. It generates real world and MD patterns. I'm still in development, so you'll need to wait a bit on this one.

I don't think you can use MakeHuman or Bastioni for this model. She's way outside the normal human shape. I don't know about DAZ. Maybe you can get this kind of distortion. It's free, so you can give it a try.

Your last option is to model her from scratch in Blender or some other graphics software (Blender is free). There will be a steep learning curve for this one, if you haven't used this type of software before.

This does bring up an interesting concept though. It was important to me that my program does doll sizes and it also does MD patterns for fashion design conceptualization. I never thought about the fact that you wouldn't have a Barbie or other doll model to use in MD. If you find a solution that works, please let me know.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 pm

And even if you do get a properly doll-shaped avatar, do be sure to scale it up inside MD: the cloth will drape better at a scale set for regular human measurements. Once you have the garment made, then scale it (or your pattern) down for export.

Neen

Post by Neen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you so much for your responses , Lori and Rosemary! I really appreciate it. It's cool that you are thinking of MD for doll clothes,all kinds of dolls from the really expensive large Ball joint dolls to the smallest cheap fashion dolls, it would be great to find a way to create models as needed.
There are a couple things that might help with the models in Daz, for example
https://www.daz3d.com/catalog/product/view/id/16684
the Measure Metrics plugin and Fairy contact morphs for Genesis 2 and Dolly (from my searching so far)
https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/dol ... -s-/107515
https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/fai ... s-/110164/

I am certainly interested in a course or program to make things easier. I am not over familiar with printing things to the correct scale, I am nervous of getting the wrong calculations. How would one go about that without the digital stuff?

I did enjoy your tutorials and this is a first attempt at some sort of dress I did recently based on very vague understanding of how clothes blocks work
2019-03-22_23-37-15.jpg
2019-03-22_23-37-15.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 163 times

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

That's a great first attempt in MD. If you want to see how well the fit is, use the garment Strain Map or Pressure Points (3D Window pull-out menu). The goal is to achieve a great fit without red points.

I think I will probably revisit this later when my program is done. It would be nice to have some doll models that people can use in MD.

Neen

Post by Neen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks Lori :) I look forward to seeing what you come up with. If I get anywhere, I will post it here