Saving Avatar Pose

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
marble

Saving Avatar Pose

Post by marble » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:30 am

Hi

I am trying to learn MD8 using imported Avatars (imported OBJ files) from DAZ Studio. I have learned how to import a pose by selecting the "Load as Morph Target" option. So far, so good but I then tried to save the pose as a .POS file which seemed to work but when I try to load the saved pose (File>Open>Pose), nothing happens. The only way I can either return to the default A pose or any other pose is to "Load As Morph Target" again selecting one of my saved OBJ exports from DAZ Studio.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Saving Avatar Pose

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do. You have a couple options. Let's say that you have a character in an A pose and you want their arms down. You can do all your clothing in the A pose. Then you can use the Load as Morph Target with another OBJ of that character with their arms down. When it runs, the cloth will simulate and the arms would drop.

The other option is to use a rigged character in MD. Without clothing, you can use the skeleton (x-ray joints) to pose the character. When you have it the way you want, arms down in this example, you can save it as a pose. Then you use your original A pose character, put on clothing, then load the saved pose to have the arms drop.

Two different things done two different ways. I could be wrong, but this is how I think it works.

marble

Post by marble » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, Lori.

Perhaps I need to explain in more detail. If you are not familiar with DAZ Studio, it is 3D character manipulation software. Figures are loaded into a scene, dressed and posed along with props and background scenery. The problem is that the clothing does not drape realistically, at least it has not until recently when DAZ added cloth simulation but this still has problems (exploding mesh being the most spectacular) so users have looked elsewhere for a solution, one being Marvelous Designer.

So it is a simple matter to export a figure from DAZ Studio in .OBJ format and import that figure into MD8. Generally, for creating clothing for such a figure, it would be imported in T-Pose or A-Pose. However, eventually that figure will become a character in a scene, probably morphed so that it looks different to its original base shape and certainly posed in natural standing, sitting or lying poses as the scene demands.

Thus, what I want to do is have the figure available in A-Pose when I'm creating clothing but then have the figure posed so that I can drape that clothing and export it back to DAZ Studio to fit a similarly posed character in the scene. To do so, I loaded the A-Pose avatar of that character in MD8 and then imported an .OBJ of that character, posed differently, using the "Load as Morph Target" option. The result was a posed avatar just as I had desired.

I thought it might be handy to have a library of saved poses in MD8 (including the default A-Pose) so that I can pose the avatar quickly. I noticed that there is indeed a facility to save a pose in .POS format which is what I tried. However, I was unable to apply the saved pose to the avatar. Nothing happened.

I hope I've been clear in what I'm trying to do now.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Great explanation, thanks. I am familiar with DAZ somewhat. I used a few of their characters a long time ago as models in MD.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but here are some ideas. Does your DAZ character have a skeleton (rig)? I have a feeling that the morph that takes place when you apply a pose is actually an animation on the rig attached to the avatar.

If you have a DAZ character with a rig that you could pose using the Show X-Ray Joints feature, save it as an avatar in MD. Then load in your posed character (same character same rig, different pose) and then save that as an avatar then as a pose. Now load your first avatar and apply the second pose.

Sorry if you already tried that, but it's my best guess.

marble

Post by marble » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Yes, all the DAZ figures are rigged and all of the "bones" are selectable. I'm not sure whether you are suggesting that I import the rigged character and then attempt to pose in MD? If so, I think that would probably take longer than just importing the ready posed figure as a morph. Then, of course, we still have the problem of saving the pose. Or perhaps I misunderstand?

Anyhow, not to worry - it was just a shortcut (I'm always looking for those - this hobby can be so time consuming in some of the less-than-interesting tasks). If you have occasion to check back with the MD people, perhaps you could mention this?

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Well, my suggestion isn't going to work then. You've tried everything I would have. I definitely don't suggest posing your character in MD. That's a complete nightmare.

Contrary to what most people think, I don't have a direct pipeline to the folks at MD. We don't have much of a relationship. You could try asking over in the MD official forum, although I usually avoid that if possible. There are DAZ folks over there that might help.

marble

Post by marble » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm

From what I can see, MD should recognise your value. You seem to be the first on the list of advocates for, and supporters of, their product.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.