Button-down gown won't button down properly, is it me?

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
itsheyli

Button-down gown won't button down properly, is it me?

Post by itsheyli » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Hi All :D

I am making a button down gown and no matter how much I pull and button and unbutton and re-button etc my buttons will not fasten correctly, (see pics below). I tried simulating while making the buttonhole side layer 1 then simulating then restoring it to 0 and my gown opening still does not lie flat and closed. Am I doing something wrong or is it a software thing and I just need to keep tugging and pulling into position?
Thanks!!
Attachments
ex1.PNG
ex1.PNG (143.46 KiB) Viewed 168 times
ex2.PNG
ex2.PNG (146.13 KiB) Viewed 168 times
ex3.PNG
ex3.PNG (172.84 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Button-down gown won't button down properly, is it me?

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:22 pm

This does occasionally happen with buttons. MD has a lot to calculate, and sometimes it gets a bit 'confused'. It looks like it has lost track of some of the cloth layering order, as well as the positions of some of the buttons.

I think your best approach would be to delete any buttons that aren't currently in proper position (marking their position with a temporary internal line marker), then let the cloth sim run a bit to straighten out the cloth layering problem. Once that has happened, that start adding back the buttons, one at a time, allowing the sim to adjust gradually. Also, if a button has tried to 'bury' itself in the cloth (mesh interaction issue) you can stop the simulation, and manually reposition it. Then, running the sim again should place it correctly.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Button-down gown won't button down properly, is it me?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:32 pm

When I have issues like this, I create an internal line offset from the edge the same distance you want your buttons. Then I sew those two lines together and simulate so the layering looks like it would if it were buttoned. Then I put the button and buttonholes on the patterns, delete the internal lines and simulate. They will be perfect.