Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
LoriGriffiths

Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:59 pm

I've created a new tool for everyone to use. As some of you know, awhile back I made an add-on program for QCAD Pro that generated slopers / basic block patterns for real-world and MD use. Some people took advantage of that, but I know many people didn't have the money for QCAD or weren't interested in learning yet another program.

I figured out a way to draft patterns in the browser using SVG and JavaScript. I call the tool Pattern Maker and it is available to everyone. It works for Marvelous Designer avatars and is not intended for real-world sewing. All you need is a set of measurements, which are now very easy to get using the new MD5 measurement tools.

Here's the tool: http://www.fearlessmakers.com/pattern-maker/
Here's an article that explains it all and includes a video: https://www.fearlessmakers.com/pattern- ... -designer/

Have fun with it and make lots of great garments in MD!

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: Pattern Maker for Marvelous Designer

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:39 am

Wow! Simply amazing! You did a most excellent job on this!

Thank you for your generosity!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:40 pm

You're welcome Morgaine. I hope everyone gets lots of use out of it.

MarcusLaGrone

Post by MarcusLaGrone » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Awesome! This looks wonderfully handy and easy to use too!

Just out of curiosity, since you know the size of the 50x50mm box inside your .png, you obviously know the size of the .png, is there any simple math such that you can just create a pattern piece of a certain size inside of MD and the sizes will just all line up?

--mjlg

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Marcus, the size of the PNG isn't in relation to the size of the draft. It is just set very large to accommodate any draft size. I have to set the size of the canvas before the pattern is drafted, not the other way around. BUT, I'm still learning about SVG so there might be more capabilities down the road.

Why do you want the png to be of a particular size? What are you wanting to do with it?

MarcusLaGrone

Post by MarcusLaGrone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Ah, I wasn't clear; my point was: if you know the size of the 50x50mm square in relationship to the exported file, is there some ratio so that when you create a part (rectangle) in the 2d window it will already have the texture correctly sized and you then don't have to play with the scale gizmo to get it to the 'correct' size...

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:41 pm

MarcusLaGrone wrote:Ah, I wasn't clear; my point was: if you know the size of the 50x50mm square in relationship to the exported file, is there some ratio so that when you create a part (rectangle) in the 2d window it will already have the texture correctly sized and you then don't have to play with the scale gizmo to get it to the 'correct' size...
Is always my issue, making the box too big. Trying to scale the whole pattern to fit at one time just never works for me! I am always having to tweak stuff a lot to fit LOL...I am not the most exact person it seems. It is so hard to tell with MD sometimes and they aren't the greatest at allowing you to input numerical values where you think you might need them...(rotate, scale, move). You might experiment with 256, 515, 1024 textures sizes. I rather wish MD would allow you to put in ratios for textures. I don't think MD does a very good job of scaling textures either.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Lori, a suggestion, if I may?
Could you make a blank version of this pdf:
https://www.fearlessmakers.com/blog/wp- ... ements.pdf
with no measurement, or avatar identifiers.
That way we can fill in the measurements for each of the different avatars we use, and keep the records ourselves, neatly. That way, we wouldn't risk loosing anything, since the browser only keeps one avatar's info at a time.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:36 pm

MarcusLaGrone wrote:Ah, I wasn't clear; my point was: if you know the size of the 50x50mm square in relationship to the exported file, is there some ratio so that when you create a part (rectangle) in the 2d window it will already have the texture correctly sized and you then don't have to play with the scale gizmo to get it to the 'correct' size...
Very interesting. You are correct, I should have this capability. The question is, does MD bring in a texture consistently regardless of the pattern it is applied to and what is the scaling ratio based on the size of the png/jpg? If I do some experimenting, I should be able to determine this. Then it just becomes a matter of ratios.

Very smart idea, it never occurred to me. Thank you so much for this. If I can figure it out, this would be amazing. We wouldn't have to do any resizing.

Did you get the latest MD5 update? They totally ruined the 2D pattern tool. Resizing my patterns is a complete nightmare now.

MarcusLaGrone

Post by MarcusLaGrone » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:05 am

Hey, Lori!
I think (THINK!) that MD is importing assuming either 72dpi or (28dpcm)...
I measured one of your squares as ~195 pixel which means that the square should be ~68.8mm
I drop a square on your pattern and try and fit the square to your image and it lines up VERY VERY close.

Since the math is happening on your end, try 72dpi or 28dpcm and see what happens!

--Marcus

edit: I scaled the png by 50/68.8 ths and it is pretty darn close! not sure if it is 72 dpi or 28 dpcm but it appears to be one of them!