Newbie Question about generated UV Maps

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
aedenclark

Newbie Question about generated UV Maps

Post by aedenclark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm new to MD, but not entirely new to 3D Modeling. That said, I am a hobbyist who is trying to branch out, and I have a silly question about the UV's being generated by MD7.

On every tutorial, video, help forum snapshot I've seen of the MD7 UVs - the poly mesh was displayed on the UV image (I mean the flat .png file generated). I've figured out how to display the poly mesh in the 2D viewport (Display > 2D Patterns > Display Mesh), but when I export the model, the UV template exported shows only the flat image, with a color if I add one, but I cannot see the "grid-lines". I can open the .obj in another modeler and see the mesh, but I'd like to have the mesh available when working on materials in Photoshop.

Have all the images I've seen online been of the UV created/modified in another modeling or UV program? Or is there a way to get the mesh to "print" on the UV pattern image that is exported? Am I missing an intermediate step?

Thank you for your help. I hope this made some sort of sense. :)

E

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Newbie Question about generated UV Maps

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 pm

My suggestion: UVMapper https://uvmapper.com/downloads.html

The Classic version is free, (....but the pro version is really worth it as well, for the price...) and the UV map can be taken into Photoshop (or other graphics programs) easily, for texturing work. The mesh grid does show up in UVMapper.

Simply open the model in the UV mapping program, and save the UV map in another format than .png (which is what MD saves it as). It's the use of the PNG format which reads the greyscale information as transparency, which leads to the 'disappearing' mesh grid.

(Also available is LithUnwrap http://www.sharecg.com/v/5169/software- ... or-Windows And I am sure there are other similar programs out there, as well.

aedenclark

Re: Newbie Question about generated UV Maps

Post by aedenclark » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 am

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I really appreciate the response!