Help with Configurator

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
LoriGriffiths

Help with Configurator

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
I need your help with something. Working with the Modular system, I have some concerns.

I ran across something by accident that makes me think we can't share configurator files. I created a sleeve for the Shirt - Basic category and then I copied it to the Dress One Piece category. It didn't work. I guess you have to re-save for each category. However, in the process I opened the Shirt_Basic.zmdr file that MD creates in the folder to see what was in there. I can't read it, it is computer code, but I can see my MD User ID at the very top.

This makes me wonder if we can share these files between users. Below are 6 files zipped that make a shirt for the Female MD B avatar.
  • Body_Back_MD_FemaleB.png
    Body_Back_MD_FemaleB.zblc
    Body_Front_MD_FemaleB.png
    Body_Front_MD_FemaleB.zblc
    Sleeves_MD_FemaleB.png
    Sleeves_MD_FemaleB.zblc
Could some of you test this out for me? Copy the files into your MD install. Here's the path on Windows of where my folders are to help.

C: /Users/Public/Public Documents/MarvelousDesigner/Assets_ver_3.2.120/Blocks//Woman/Shirts/PUT FILES HERE

Your Assets version may be different, but this will only work if you are on a recent version 7. Then open your Configurator
and navigate to Blocks > Women > Shirt and pick the three items.

After they get in the scene, simulate and make sure they sew together properly. Hopefully, all is well, but I have a bad feeling about this after seeing my user ID in that file.

Please comment below as to what happens for you. I really appreciate your help on this.

Thank you,
Lori
Attachments
Test Block.zip
MD Configurator Files Zipped
(276.34 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Help with Configurator

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Lori, I've been as sick as a dog this last week, so I haven't been able to do much. But I will try to play with this ASAP.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm sorry you've been ill. What a terrible time of the year for that. I hope you're feeling better very soon.

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Well, I gave it a try. Copied the files to the Assets/Block/Women/Shirt folder, and confirmed that they were there, with the other files. But, on opening MD (and yes, it's version 3_2_120) the new files do not show in the blocks folder in the Configurator. No icons, and no way to add the files through a menu or list. I will keep on trying different methods, but my brain is real fuzzy right now, from the meds!

Note: I did open both one of the original block files, as well as yours, in a Hex Editor program, and yes, I do also see your wildwebworks ID inside your file. Possibly, if that line is edited out? Something to try, once my brain functions again....

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Very interesting. I was afraid of that. I sent MD an issue request asking them about it, but no word on that.

I was going to sell completed configurator blocks in the new store I'm building. Good thing I questioned this early. I had plans for many, many garments. That would have been a complete waste of time.

I was wondering why MD wasn't selling configurator components in their store. Now we now.

I'm starting to suspect that not many people will use the tool. It isn't exactly easy to use. If you have one sleeve that works with multiple template blocks, you have to re-sew and save individually. You can't copy them into different blocks. The only real use is if you have one character that you use over and over. It would save some time to put blocks in there for quick picking. Adding a garment works for this and is a lot less confusing.

Thank you so much Rosemary for giving this a go. You saved me so much frustration.