Material clinging in to itself

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
ReDSpideR

Material clinging in to itself

Post by ReDSpideR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Hello, I will try to keep this brief;
I am new to MD so I sincerely apologize if this is covered somewhere?

My garment creation was going pretty smoothly until recently, anytime I simulate, move, or create new patterns it will begin to oddly cling and fold in and crunch in on itself. I would describe it as if it were spinning folds?

I am a little confused as to how to problem solve this.

Here is a screenshot
Screenshot (14).jpg
Screenshot (14).jpg (595.51 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Side note, what are these lines?
Screenshot (17).jpg
Screenshot (17).jpg (539.81 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
I have tried multiple things, I don't think I changed any big settings? unless by accidental hotkey, because I'm new to this software, I am mainly using clicking at the moment.

I appreciate any feedback,
Thanks!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Material clinging in to itself

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

It's hard to see without seeing a complete screenshot of the 2D pattern window showing all the patterns and their sewing lines, but that kind of behavior is typical for an incorrectly sewn seam... In other words, one (or more) of the seams has either gotten it's connections to a pattern piece where it shouldn't be, or the seam is connected with the wrong ends together.

On your side note, did you do a merge of patterns? Those lines often are retained after a merging occurs.

ReDSpideR

Post by ReDSpideR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Ah yes, those lines are where I've merged. Cool to know =)

As for the sewing, all seems in order. I'm really wondering if I touched some sort of simulation setting? hmmmm very curious.

Here is the sewing and patterns
sewing.JPG
sewing.JPG (137.06 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm

The seams do look good.

Is that a vest layer (green material?) over the shirt? You may be having some issue with layer control. Set the vest to layer 1, and the shirt to zero, at least during the first simulation run. Then, once they settle into proper layering, reset both to zero again, and the program should keep track of what should be on top.

ReDSpideR

Post by ReDSpideR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Rosemaryr wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm
The seams do look good.

Is that a vest layer (green material?) over the shirt? You may be having some issue with layer control. Set the vest to layer 1, and the shirt to zero, at least during the first simulation run. Then, once they settle into proper layering, reset both to zero again, and the program should keep track of what should be on top.
Thanks!

I've reset there layers, by starting at the lowest, simulating, then adding on top, simulating. It looks like its holding up so far! Must of been my layer settings? (hoping this holds up, yes pun intended) :D

While I have your attention, Do you have any references or tips on how I could achieve this frilly chest piece? I haven't a clue as to where to start? I'm tempted to 3D model it, but I'd like to use this an a learning experience.
frilly1.jpg
frilly1.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 1256 times

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 pm

It is called a Jabot. If you do an image search on it you'll see tons of real-world examples. Those should help you figure out how to draft it.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 am

Yup, a jabot is what you what:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... ot+pattern

There are a couple of patterns to look at in the top row of the link's images.
It looks like your example image has a couple of rows of the flounces in it's jabot...so make two (or more) with increasing sizes for that look.

ReDSpideR

Post by ReDSpideR » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:18 am

Thank you both so much for your direction!

1) So I am trying to keep things weighted symmetrically, but due to the nature of the non-symmetrical design I am using, MD is off setting the alignment, as seen with the blouse, and jacket in these images. I've tried pinning and some other tricks by shortening or lengthening other measurements in my pattern to make up for differences in weight, but it still just pulls in a wonky way, I think some of it I can leave and some will be touched up in ZBrush. Thoughts?
md01.jpg
md01.jpg (98.05 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
md02.jpg
md02.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
2) Also any direction or advice in how to better this jabot would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of winging it here lol.
(and make a padded shoulder?)
md03.jpg
md03.jpg (142.45 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
jabbajabba.JPG
jabbajabba.JPG (71.07 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
3) And finally; is this type of.. trimming? (Excuse the lack of fashion lingo knowledge!) something that can be achieved in MD?
md04.jpg
md04.jpg (95.03 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:57 pm

First issue: the black sleeve on your garment's left arm looks much too tight (small), which is most likely pulling the rest of the jacket over to the side. [The same thing is happening with the blouse, as well...] In your reference image, that sleeve is definitely much looser [check the folds that are shown there, due to having more cloth....jackets, of course, tend to be looser that shirts, in real life, so they can fit over shirts.]. Increase the size of that sleeve's pattern, definitely along the long axis, and somewhat less on the shorter axis.
Also, you can add an invisible pattern piece on the *other* sleeve, to both hold up that sleeve that is currently pinned in place, and to help balance the pull of the left arm sleeve. You will need to create another fabric choice for that, however...

The shoulders will need a rigid shoulder pad, under the outer layer of the jacket, to make that shape. They can be softer or more rigid, depending on your needs/desires.
Here are some reference images for you:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... s+patterns

You will need to adjust the pattern of the outer layer of the jacket to accommodate the shoulder pad(s). If the torso pattern currently has a downward slant (following the line of the avatar's silhouette), make it more horizontal, to stand up more, and also raise the upper curve of the sleeve to match the increased length.

The jabot is looking good for the design: if/when you decrease the Particle Distance, it will look less 'chunky' and fall more softly. You can also adjust the fabric properties to give it a fabric type that drapes better: experiment with the Stretch warp/weft, Bending stiffness and other settings.

Finally, the trim *can* be a separate cloth, if you want. Use the 'Offset as Internal Line' tool along with the 'Cut and Sew' function to create separate pieces, and then make a new fabric choice for those pieces. You will want to find a good texture to apply to it (something with bump/normal mapping) to simulate the embroidery.

ReDSpideR

Post by ReDSpideR » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:41 pm

awesome, thats some great advice!

I still seem to be running into this weird collision issue, where now my jacket is starting to bunch up and roll in on its self when touching the edge of her boot. Only happening on one side. same with her pants sometimes.

Jack is on layer 3
Boots on layer 2
Tights on layer 1.

not sure what to do about the bunching up. seems the issue is still happening.
Is there a way to adjust how much space is between 2 objects as a buffer? kind of like skin distance? I can't find a proper description of the collision distance in the simulation properties.
coll.JPG
coll.JPG (18.02 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
bunching.JPG
bunching.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
bunching2.JPG
bunching2.JPG (49.41 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
bunching3.JPG
bunching3.JPG (34.53 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Anywho, heres where i'm at, when its not acting up.
progress02.JPG
progress02.JPG (65.1 KiB) Viewed 1019 times