Weird Collisions

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
eardnua1

Weird Collisions

Post by eardnua1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:41 am

Hey Guys,

I needs some help. I am getting some weird collisions with my avatar and his clothes. I have changed that particle distance to 10 and have set the avatar offset distance to .3 mm.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Weird Collisions

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

You received some answers in the other MD forum.
Essentially, you are starting with the Particle Distance at too small a setting for the first simulation run. This means that the seams for the garment are simulated slower than the pull of gravity (due to the high poly count). By the time the seams come together, the garment has fallen enough that the seams are trying to connect inside the avatar.
As angel suggested, you have two options.
First option: turn off gravity [set to zero] (accessible two ways: 1.Object Browser panel>Scene tab>Simulation properties>gravity or 2.right-click in 3D window, select Simulation properties in the pop-up menu, then gravity in the simulation properties panel as in option 1). This will remove any gravitational influence from the sim, and allow the seams to come together as they should. You can then reset gravity back to the default -9800 for further work as needed.
Second option: raise the Particle Distance number (thus lowering the poly count)... use the default 20 for initial work. This will let the sewing sim work faster than gravity, and again, lets the seams connect on the outside of the avatar. You can then (afterwards) lower the Particle Distance setting to your smaller setting, and give a better detail level for export, if that is your goal.

On a slightly different note, as yudined was attempting to say, the overall size of the entire garment is a bit small.... it is cut a bit too close to the size of the avatar's silhouette. Remember, the silhouette is a 2 dimensional representation and does not indicate the dimension of depth: your 2d pattern pieces will have to allow for that. As it is, your current garment is essentially spandex: stretched very tightly on the avatar. If you turn on the stress mapping for the 3D window display, your garment will probably show as completely orange or red, indicating that tightness. Increase the overall size of the pattern pieces until you get much more green showing. Why? Because, if you export as it currently is, you may experience a great of mesh inter-penetration, which can lead to issues in other programs.