Import OBJ to Garment / Loose UVs

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
hansolocambo

Import OBJ to Garment / Loose UVs

Post by hansolocambo »

I'm facing an issue that really doesn't help my workflow.

I'm often using the very useful Import OBJ to garment. But the issue is : as long as I work, the obj will retain its UVS. And if I export the simulated garment-OBJ, UVs are there too. Perfect.

But if I save the scene, and re-open it, the OBJ doesn't have UVs anymore. Sometimes working with characters interacting, I find it easier, to simulate an animation using an MDD cache, to simulate each character separately, save a Zprj for each, then merge them once animation is simulated : to continue working later on the final pose with no more animation. But there again, UVs are gone.

Does someone know how to save a Zprj but KEEPING the UVs of imported Objs. I mean... Avatars I use are also OBJs imported but somehow they keep their UVs just fine !

Thanks in advance for your help on that !
Jat

Re: Import OBJ to Garment / Loose UVs

Post by Jat »

Hello!

I am facing the same problem as well. I used OBJ to Garment Import, and everything works fine for the first time, the UV is there as it is in Maya. However, after I saved the Marvelous scene and reopened it again, the UV disappeared. The image below shows before and after.

This is really troublesome for my workflow, because I need to keep the UV for the texture maps to work after the simulation is done. If this problem persists, I cannot close the Marvelous scene for as long as I am still working on the project.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Is there a solution to it? Thanks in advance!
LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths »

This sounds like an issue for CLO. Use the reporting system within MD and report this to them. Give them good examples and ask for a response. They are usually pretty good about explaining what is going on.
Jat

Post by Jat »

LoriGriffiths wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm This sounds like an issue for CLO. Use the reporting system within MD and report this to them. Give them good examples and ask for a response. They are usually pretty good about explaining what is going on.
Alright, I'll do that. Thank you for your reply!
hansolocambo

Post by hansolocambo »

"They are usually pretty good about explaining [...]"

Marvelous don't give a flying f... about OBJ as garment. I reported that issue a few times and the only answer you get is : make your cloth with Marvelous Designer using garments. It's not meant to be used that way ("that" meaning importing foreign obj meshes to be simulated). Well... and why is there the option do to so ?

Problem got worse as Marvelous Designer now also modifies the imported OBJ's topology. On top of loosing UVs, we also lost the ability of using the simulated obj as a morph.

There's a way to get back UVs with Maya Transfer Attribute, but it's a lot of painful steps in a workflow for just a cloth simulation. If UVs ARE there why are they gone when reopening the scene. Why can any other imported OBJ can retain its UVs perfectly fine ? It all sounds like a tiny bug that could definitely be fixed. But, as far as I understood, they absolutely don't plan on improving that part of the software.