ABC file export size

Ask about specific settings, like fabric properties, or the difference between the sewing tools. These would be things you would expect to see in a software manual.
ShavonneWong

ABC file export size

Post by ShavonneWong »

Hello

I'm trying to do an ABC OGAWA export for the outfit but the alembic file is really big. I'm trying to figure out what affects the abc size the most. Is it the length of the animation or is it the particle distance etc?
MarcusLaGrone

Re: ABC file export size

Post by MarcusLaGrone »

I cannot speak explicitly about alembic files, but I can speak from the .mdd perspective and I SPECULATE that they will follow similar trends:

length of animation is almost linear with size: double the length of the animation, double the file.

changing the cloth simulation from 20mm to 10mm increases the size by 4x. (this catches some people)
going from 20 to 10mm doubles on both the x and y axis so it ends up squaring the difference.

going from 20 to 14mm will approximately double the size since the ratio is close to the square root of 2.

in my workflow to Blender, I assume that I will be adding subdivision surfaces inside Blender so I can often use lower resolution simulations which make things a lot smaller. All about what details need to be persevered and what details MUST be present to get a cloth sim to look good.

hope this helps.

--mjlg