What is the deal with game character wrinkles?

Post and read about using MD and other software to create game assets.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: What is the deal with game character wrinkles?

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:43 am

Okay, I understand the logic of wanting realistic wrinkles in fabric when a game character moves. But, are they really all that necessary and to the degree seen in the photo when it comes to a gaming experience? When I game, the illusion is enough for me. I am more interested in the game part then the clothing visuals. At first glance, the wrinkles in the photo seem realistic enough but reminds me of someone who slept in their clothes, it is almost overkill in my opinion. And yes, just my opinion and no insult intended in anyway.

Personally, MD is okay but I have a tough time achieving nice fine wrinkles. Hopefully, as time goes by, this will be refined. For now, I tend to use AO and shadow maps rather than sculpting finer details and occasionally post work in Photoshop. I don't feel I need that great of detail...more the illusion of it if anything. However, I do this for personal creativity and not for a living. Perhaps, someday, I will be better at MD and can achieve the finer wrinkles. Till then I will stick with some creative helpers.

I always like seeing other people's work and learning how/why they do things. Helps me with what I do. Thank you for sharing!

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Hello Everyone, After reading the entire discussion that has been going on out here and many other places too. The realism that game developers are trying to achieve, definitely at some point relies on the illusion created by the clothing worn by the Characters of the game. Let me just try to explain what problems even I faced when I was trying to create a traditional Indian cloth for a WIP, I started off using a child model from Daz Studio and tried creating the clothes for that character. The cloth did turn out fine but when I applied some animations to it in Daz I was shocked that the clothes that had been well fitted in MD using the same model, when animating started to revel tears on the knee area which was the most affected area in all the animations. Even the sitting pose gave horrible results, I eventually gave up on the Daz model and have tried switching over to Make-human. But the point is these wrinkles on the knees were required to give a better sense of realism to the model when he is performing various animation moves during game-play, I have still not achieved any success with it in MD and have asked the community to guide me in the creation of this perfect Traditional Indian Cloth (A Dhoti) for the child model.
Attachments
My_Model_Close-Up2.jpg
My_Model_Close-Up2.jpg (208.71 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
My_Model_Close-Up1.jpg
My_Model_Close-Up1.jpg (225 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:52 pm

patelbros wrote:Hello Everyone, After reading the entire discussion that has been going on out here and many other places too. The realism that game developers are trying to achieve, definitely at some point relies on the illusion created by the clothing worn by the Characters of the game. Let me just try to explain what problems even I faced when I was trying to create a traditional Indian cloth for a WIP, I started off using a child model from Daz Studio and tried creating the clothes for that character. The cloth did turn out fine but when I applied some animations to it in Daz I was shocked that the clothes that had been well fitted in MD using the same model, when animating started to revel tears on the knee area which was the most affected area in all the animations. Even the sitting pose gave horrible results, I eventually gave up on the Daz model and have tried switching over to Make-human. But the point is these wrinkles on the knees were required to give a better sense of realism to the model when he is performing various animation moves during game-play, I have still not achieved any success with it in MD and have asked the community to guide me in the creation of this perfect Traditional Indian Cloth (A Dhoti) for the child model.
I have a question for you. Did you take your A Dhoti into Maya, Blender, or another 3D modeling software to Rig it to the DAZ model bones structure? Probably will have to do some weighting/skinning of your garment to get it to move smoothly in DAZ or wherever you plan on using it.

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm

MorgaineChristensen wrote:
patelbros wrote:Hello Everyone, After reading the entire discussion that has been going on out here and many other places too. The realism that game developers are trying to achieve, definitely at some point relies on the illusion created by the clothing worn by the Characters of the game. Let me just try to explain what problems even I faced when I was trying to create a traditional Indian cloth for a WIP, I started off using a child model from Daz Studio and tried creating the clothes for that character. The cloth did turn out fine but when I applied some animations to it in Daz I was shocked that the clothes that had been well fitted in MD using the same model, when animating started to revel tears on the knee area which was the most affected area in all the animations. Even the sitting pose gave horrible results, I eventually gave up on the Daz model and have tried switching over to Make-human. But the point is these wrinkles on the knees were required to give a better sense of realism to the model when he is performing various animation moves during game-play, I have still not achieved any success with it in MD and have asked the community to guide me in the creation of this perfect Traditional Indian Cloth (A Dhoti) for the child model.
I have a question for you. Did you take your A Dhoti into Maya, Blender, or another 3D modeling software to Rig it to the DAZ model bones structure? Probably will have to do some weighting/skinning of your garment to get it to move smoothly in DAZ or wherever you plan on using it.
Hello Sir,
The Dhoti was not slipping using the Daz Studios Internal Preset Moves..The only problem was that the cloth looked teared while performing the sit, bend, etc. moves that required the knees to be bend at an angle. The Dhoti was linked to the existing rig on the model created by Daz Studio so it never slipped, also I did try to take the model to maya once to see how it looked there, the cloth looked alright but the rig was completely messed up it looked horrible. I can't really explain the scenario right now as I had aborted the model altogether and switched over to MakeHuman, The problem now is the knotting of the dhoti while maintaining the wrinkles that provide the realism required for this particular type of clothing. I am still in doubt on the effects of the clothing by the animation moves on this model, I have to get the dhoti ready along with the complete set of other clothes so that I won't face further hurdles when I am working on the Model in Maya and later getting the finished moves with the clothing on, to the game engine where all the action Could be brought to life.

raden92

Post by raden92 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:45 am

Hello there, i like those design. those designs has characteristics indeed. I think, it's not bad to use those character for your game wrinkles. that's simple, has character, and that's what you need, sir.
Komunikasia - The company of design agency and graphic design jakarta