MD6 CLOSED Beta announced

News about MD software or special announcements that should be of interest to all.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

MD6 CLOSED Beta announced

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:48 pm

From the MD website:

WE WANT YOU FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER 6 CBT!

We are incredibly excited to announce Marvelous Designer 6 Close Beta Test is available from August 12 to September 12
only for Marvelous Designer License Holders. (Unfortunately MD2 License holders are not available to take part in MD6 CBT)
We believe it'd be helpful for us to test and finalize new features of Marvelous Designer 6 such as Button & Buttonhole, Steam,
Scene Time Warp, Solidify, Offset Pattern Outline, Delete Avatar and Chalk.

You will be given,
- Early access to the new updated Marvelous Designer 6
- The opportunity to test new features : Button & Buttonhole, Steam, Scene Time Warp, Solidify, Offset Pattern Outline, Delete Avatar and Chalk

-------------------------------
For more info, here's the thread link:
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/commun ... /News/9420

LoriGriffiths

Re: MD6 CLOSED Beta announced

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

I've been playing with this today. The buttons are very cool and a welcome addition. The Solidify is also going to be a feature that game artists are going to love. Finally, they get their wrinkles to stick without doing them in ZBrush.

I'm unclear what the Steam feature really accomplishes, but I'm sure it will come to me eventually.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:52 pm

I played around with the button feature a little last night but need to do a bit more testing. I need to find some way to keep the buttons and holes straight...I can't make things straight to save my soul! I wish they would add a grid option in the simulations window for that. I guess I could do it via a texture on the fabric pieces.

I had issues with being able to move around in the pattern and simulation windows. In MD 5.5, I can still use Ctrl Alt and drag around in those windows all it does in 6 is zoom in or out :-( Maybe this isn't a problem in PC version.

I do like the CHALK option! Yay! It worked nicely for what I was doing.

I am still waiting for them to allow rotation or moving by numbers on the gizmo for better placement of pieces. Would also be nice if we could move the pivot point of the pattern pieces.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:49 pm

MorgaineChristensen wrote:I played around with the button feature a little last night but need to do a bit more testing. I need to find some way to keep the buttons and holes straight...I can't make things straight to save my soul! I wish they would add a grid option in the simulations window for that. I guess I could do it via a texture on the fabric pieces.

I had issues with being able to move around in the pattern and simulation windows. In MD 5.5, I can still use Ctrl Alt and drag around in those windows all it does in 6 is zoom in or out :-( Maybe this isn't a problem in PC version.

I do like the CHALK option! Yay! It worked nicely for what I was doing.

I am still waiting for them to allow rotation or moving by numbers on the gizmo for better placement of pieces. Would also be nice if we could move the pivot point of the pattern pieces.
1. After placing the buttons and buttonholes, use the 'Edit button' tool (single left-click) to rotate them in place, or right-click with it to get the options menu for 'Reset 3d Position'. Note: You must have the button **unfastened** for the 'Reset 3d Position to work.
2. Hmmm. Nope, not a problem in the PC version.
3. Yup! Nice to mark out alterations that cross seamlines.
4. To change the pivot point, use the Transform Pattern tool... (which is switched from the second position it previously had, to the first spot in line...) It's the one that brings up the scaling/rotation box. With that active (in the 2d window), click on centrally-placed pivot point and move it. Lori actually demonstrated this in an earlier video, when she showed how to work with collars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFZfrjW1w4 Look at about the 25 minute mark.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Hey Rosemayr! I hope the summer is treating you well and not too hot.

LOL...Yes, I pretty much have to edit the buttons & holes into place...is why I think a grid on the actual pieces themselves is a good idea ...even with editing, straight and myself are just at odd with one another. My elementary school teachers and father were simply horrified I couldn't draw a straight line even with a ruler! A character flaw if you will :-)

I discovered this morning, after a bit more testing, the actual moving the interior pattern & simulations screen has to do with that pesky option box for settings as you log in. I run a mac and when you set the type of mouse to PC rather than Magic Mouse it causes the problem...I use a PC wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse because I can't stand those that come with the macs. Left at default, it works fine.

Loves, loves, loves the chalk for being able to add in on the fly darts.

Hhhmm....guess I need to go back to the beginning and watch Lori's videos since I been on this Blender kick for some other things...I have forgot what little I knew about MD in this hiatus. Of course, I believe I over looked this particular trick since I hadn't a need of it before. :-)

Thanks for the feedback and info!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:53 am

Heh... summer itself hasn't been too bad here, but I caught a nasty cold at the beginning of July that lasted the entire month, which included an ear infection which knocked out my left ear. (Hopefully it's only temporary...Bleh!) Little energy during what is usually the most productive time. Luckily, the allure of a new MD to test has gotten me back to the computer.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 am

Morgaine: I just thought of a way to help with regular placement of buttons.
Select the edge that you want your line of buttons to follow, create an 'Offset' internal line. Choose an offset distance that places the line at an appropriate distance, then use the Split command to create a regular spread of points on the line. The button tool tends to snap to points, so this will give you the layout fairly quickly. If you have Symmetry between the two side, it will help placing the corresponding buttonholes as well.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:38 pm

The first updated/bug fix version of the beta is up. If you are participating in the beta test, go ahead and download it.

RalphEsoj

Post by RalphEsoj » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Rosemaryr wrote:The first updated/bug fix version of the beta is up. If you are participating in the beta test, go ahead and download it.
Hi Rosemaryr, how do you download the new update version?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:21 pm

On the opening page at the MD forum, the pop-up box says "Start Now", click on that, then the next page has a box "Apply Now". Click on that to start the download.
Yeah, it's a bit confusing, if you have already 'applied', but that's how they set it up.