Seams not where I want them

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
jbrad2

Seams not where I want them

Post by jbrad2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Hey, guys. I am totally new to MD and have many questions. The first is: I made a tunic and it looks ok but the seams at the shoulders are about two inches towards the back instead of right on top. This is causing the fabric to bunch up. At least I think this is the problem. I may have some overlapping but would not know it if I did.I would like to show it to you and see if you can spot the problem.I also have some bunching at her waist as you can see.

Thank you so much for your help.

Joseph
Tunic shoulders.png
Tunic shoulders.png (87.12 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Seams not where I want them

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 am

Could we also see the 2D window (pattern screen) with the avatar's silhouette? This will help determine where specific advice will help you the most.

For general advice, *based only on the image already posted*:
It is very likely that the back pattern piece isn't long enough on the vertical axis to accommodate the torso. This is probably what is pulling the front pattern up over the shoulder onto the back of the shoulder.

A typical mistake for first-time MD users is not allowing for the full 3D measurements needed. The 2D silhouette conveys no real clue as to amount of cloth needed to wrap the garment around the body. If you have an avatar that is 'busty', 'portly' or full-figured in any way, you need more material to cover the sides as well as the back and front. Instead, MD will treat any cloth like spandex; if the amount of cloth isn't enough to cover the avatar normally, the program will stretch the cloth well beyond any reasonable 'normal' amount.