Need Help With Indian Dhoti WIP

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
patelbros

Need Help With Indian Dhoti WIP

Post by patelbros » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:17 am

Hello Friends,
I would Really Like some guidance on the creation process for making an Indian Dhoti In Marvelous Designer. Here Is My Work So far and it is definitely not looking as it should even after my various tries. Any help on this process is really appreciating.
Attachments
My_Model-2.jpg
My_Model-2.jpg (292.72 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
My_Model.jpg
My_Model.jpg (301.81 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Need Help With Indian Dhoti WIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:41 pm

I've done a dhoti, and it does take a **lot** of patience to accomplish.
Make sure to give yourself a lot of extra fabric, and you may have to use a smaller Particle Distance to ensure that the cloth doesn't pull through itself during the process.
I also used an invisible waistband piece to assist in holding the dhoti up, since there was so much fabric, which pulled things down over the avatar's waist.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:55 pm

Here's a screen shot of the pattern window:

I mad it in three parts, allowing the folds to set into place, then moved the piece that went between the legs into as close to the final position as possible **before** sewing it to the next piece (the one that went around the back). To make it easier to get the cloth between the legs, I had a temporary gathering line on that back (central) piece to pull it up so the two pieces wouldn't tangle up as much. Then the front pleated drape piece was sewn on.

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 am

Hello Madam,
Wow the dhoti looks so good, I do agree it requires a great deal of patience to get a perfect dhoti made. I had to struggle for....I don't know how many hours but I started watching the online videos in the morning for sometime to get a basic idea of how a dhoti is actually worn in real life, Close to afternoon I was busy trying to see how the patterns would make sense for the creation of the dhoti. After Continues Experimentation I finally gave up at 01:00am IST because I was damn tired and frustrated. Next day too I tried getting it to become proper...By midday I got the Yellow colored dhoti wrapped around the model. As you can see the work is not at all good......I later tried with the white colored one and still till date it is still holding in the same state. I therefore decided to ask for help and guidance with the creation of the dhoti, A full step by step tutorial would really help me achieve the results that I want for this model. Madam I had seen your Dhoti Model on the MD forum which was closed later on, Even there I had asked for your help when I saw your dhoti design. I am really happy and grateful that you are trying to help me out here. I am not very good at cloth creation, my job is basically to animate the model for the game but unless the cloth simulates perfectly I wouldn't be able to bring out the realism that I have been trying to achieve for this Educational non commercial project. Once again madam I thank you for helping us noobs create clothes that bring realism to the characters, we do look out at experts for guidance because every person has his / her limits on the area of expertise, I am just a student and hope for more insights on these areas from the pros.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm

I will try to have something for you, by way of a step-by-step tutorial, hopefully this weekend.

But, as a caution, (I have read in your other posts about your need to use it in animation in another program), there *will* be differences in how other programs handle the mesh that MD makes. Just because the mesh 'looks right' in MD, with all the correct appearances you want, doesn't mean that your other program can handle it correctly. You may have to make some compromises to have something to use in the other program's animation system. For example, I mentioned that I used an invisible waistband to hold up the dhoti in MD. Obviously, a real dhoti is held up by the friction of the knot, and the tucking of the top into the waist line cloth. You have mentioned that your mesh has a bad reaction at the knees, when the avatar has to kneel. These are things that will have to be considered when working with more than one program.

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:08 am

Rosemaryr wrote:I will try to have something for you, by way of a step-by-step tutorial, hopefully this weekend.

But, as a caution, (I have read in your other posts about your need to use it in animation in another program), there *will* be differences in how other programs handle the mesh that MD makes. Just because the mesh 'looks right' in MD, with all the correct appearances you want, doesn't mean that your other program can handle it correctly. You may have to make some compromises to have something to use in the other program's animation system. For example, I mentioned that I used an invisible waistband to hold up the dhoti in MD. Obviously, a real dhoti is held up by the friction of the knot, and the tucking of the top into the waist line cloth. You have mentioned that your mesh has a bad reaction at the knees, when the avatar has to kneel. These are things that will have to be considered when working with more than one program.
Madam,
I would be really delighted to have the step-by-step tutorial on the creation process by you. I think I would have to plan out the usage of the steps to get it all right and I guess I would really need to handle the mesh issues for the other applications, However I do think that I would have to mix and match stuff to bring a balance between the differences of the applications. The dhoti is the base cloth, the waist cloth on top of the dhoti and then would come the shoulder cloth and the sacred thread....I have to find a way to tie them all using some way either in MD or in the other application. :| hmm It would be worth the efforts if it all turns out to be good in the end. Looking forward to your guide Madam :) you would really help me a lot :D I appreciate everything from my heart.
Thank you Madam

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:04 pm

I have about 85% of the tutorial images captured, and will have the rest by Sunday.
Once you put the dhoti together, then the waist cloth and shoulder drape cloth should be fairly simple. MD does allow for layered items, so we can do those together, once you have a dhoti you like.

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:43 am

Rosemaryr wrote:I have about 85% of the tutorial images captured, and will have the rest by Sunday.
Once you put the dhoti together, then the waist cloth and shoulder drape cloth should be fairly simple. MD does allow for layered items, so we can do those together, once you have a dhoti you like.
Hello Madam,
Thankfully now I feel with your help and guidance the Child Model would finally get ready soon. Yes with the base dhoti in place the rest of the clothing can be easily done using the layered clothes. It would also make me know why it was not working during my previous tries. Here is the old child model, I just have the obj files of the garment and avatar from old MD. You can see how horrible it looks :shock: but now everything would be alright because I have your guidance.
Attachments
Old_Child_Model-Front.jpg
Old_Child_Model-Front.jpg (204.2 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Old_Child_Maya-Back.jpg
Old_Child_Maya-Back.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Old_Child_Maya-Front.jpg
Old_Child_Maya-Front.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Old_Child_Model-Back.jpg
Old_Child_Model-Back.jpg (189.9 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

cgcvss

Post by cgcvss » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Rosemaryr wrote:I have about 85% of the tutorial images captured, and will have the rest by Sunday.
Thank you, Rose Mary. I'm also waiting for the tutorial images. Would be helpful for me to design Indian Saree. ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=300 ) It is still in progress. I'll post updates soon :)

And good going, Patelbros. Keep it up :)

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:17 am

cgcvss wrote:
Thank you, Rose Mary. I'm also waiting for the tutorial images. Would be helpful for me to design Indian Saree. ( viewtopic.php?f=25&t=300 ) It is still in progress. I'll post updates soon :)

And good going, Patelbros. Keep it up :)
Thanks for the appreciation @cgcvss I am still awaiting Madam Rosemaryr's Tutorial for the dhoti. The Images I have posted recently were the failed attempts by me for the creation of the dhoti long time ago. Based on the helpful guidance of Madam I would be able to complete the work that I had started so long ago, It is still going to a long way up ahead but it is going to be a good start once again. :)