Using MD for Miniatures work

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
MarcusLaGrone

Using MD for Miniatures work

Post by MarcusLaGrone » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Okay, here is a silly project: creating custom miniatures. I'm having them printed at Shapeways in Frosted Extreme Detail (FED).
The limits of 3d printer mean that pieces (that is to say, clothes) need to be at least 0.3 mm thick.
I'm printing at 1:50 scale so that means that in real units the cloth needs to be greater than 15mm thick.
Marvelous Designer does a marvelous job: I set the thickness of the cloth for simulation and rendering to 16mm and let it re-calc everything and then export it.
The image below shows the base model (left) with the model prepared for printing on the right. The model and the rifle were inflated a bit so they show up better (used MeshMixer for that). The clothes look exaggerated, BUT when you look at a little printed model that is only 33mm tall, you NEED things to be a bit exaggerated or you cannot see the detail!
When this gets back from the printer I'll post a picture of the resulting miniature.
Another weird use for MD...

--mjlg
Attachments
For3dPrinting.jpg
For3dPrinting.jpg (313.17 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Using MD for Miniatures work

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Watching this development, with interest!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:32 am

That looks really, really good. Your draping detail is amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product. I hope it holds all your details well.

MarcusLaGrone

Post by MarcusLaGrone » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Okay, back from Shapeways and a coat of grey primer later...
the small stipple is roughness from the 3d print.
The gun barrel broke in shipping but I managed to glue it back in place (no bets on how long that lasts).
The entire thing is 32mm tall.
All in all, for how small it is, I'm happy with how it came out and have a bunch more different ones in the queue to be printed.
SLI_printed.jpg
SLI_printed.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
--Marcus

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:48 pm

That turned out really nice. There is a little pitting in the material, but the detail wasn't lost. Good job.