A tad ambitious for a newbie....

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
ToyMcBride

A tad ambitious for a newbie....

Post by ToyMcBride » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 pm

I've been using MD4 for about 2 weeks now, having fun creating and playing with making clothes...lots of mistakes along the way and lots of watching Lori's tutorials, she's great :) Please some more beginners ones would be most appreciated....I still can't figure out the darts thingie!!

My problem right now is jumping from one thing to another trying different designs from my head or pictures I see, so my latest one which I did tonight is this strapless simple long dress, now for all you pro's out there you will be horrified when you look at my pattern but hey it's sewn together and staying up on the Avatar lol

At first I didn't have the thin side panels and the skirt at the bottom was pointy so I added the panels to make it more round, was happy with that it looked way better

Would be happy to hear any suggestions or tips & tricks anyone might want to share with me, I am still learning would love some feedback.

I am creating mesh clothing for a virtual world that I am involved in, it's a version of Second Life, MD is the fun part then I have to go to blender sadly now that program is a learning curve, but I will soldier on
Attachments
back view.jpg
back view.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
simple strapless long dress.jpg
simple strapless long dress.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 3161 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: A tad ambitious for a newbie....

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:49 pm

One of the things to remember, is that while you do initially create the patterns on the 2D side, the pieces then have to fit around a 3d avatar. The 2d silhouette alone does not convey that needed third dimension of depth. As you found, if your patterns are created to just fit the silhouette, it will not be enough. That is why you needed to add the extra side panels.

A good way to guage how much larger to make the patterns (if you are doing it by sight, and not by measurements), is to activate the Strain mapping for the 3d window. (Alt+6 shortcut, or menu "Display>3D garment Rendering Style>Strain Map")
[Edit: oops... circled the wrong icon in the fly-out menu... sorry!)
Red shows where there is the most strain on the cloth. You would expect to see strain on the shoulder straps (in the example shown), or at the top of your dress's bodice, but you do not want strain around the lower torso, or hips. So, you then adjust the pattern's scaling until that red shifts down to green.
In this second pic, I created a dress close to what you have in your image: the 2d pattern is cut very close to the 2d silhouette. See how much strain the dress shows??
In the last pic, I have merely scaled all the patterns horizontally wider. See how the strain map looks now.

This is, of course, just one tool to roughly guage the pattern size relative to the 3d avatar. You should note that this example dress I made is very rough, and should be better fitted with darts and curved seams. But that is for another time.

ToyMcBride

Post by ToyMcBride » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Wow thank you so much for that tip Rosemaryr that is a very handy tip :)
So as you can see by my picture ooh I do have a lot of red at the top

I've actually now removed the panels now and will play around with that :)
strapless dress strain map.png
strapless dress strain map.png (58.8 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Garments that are too tight is very common with new MD users. People forget about body depth and have issues with armholes a lot. Sleeves just won't look correct, when the armhole is not well formed.

Rosemary's advice about referring to the strain map is very, very helpful. When I'm draping something it it doesn't seem to do what it should, I turn it on. More often than not, I've got pinching somewhere because it's too tight and the cloth can't drape properly.

It's not just a newbie thing, we all do it.

ToyMcBride

Post by ToyMcBride » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 am

Good to know it's not just newbies :)

Really enjoying playing with MD4 just a matter of practice makes perfect :) but it's a simple program to use, Lori would love a newbies tutorial on using darts I am not sure how that works
LoriGriffiths wrote:Garments that are too tight is very common with new MD users. People forget about body depth and have issues with armholes a lot. Sleeves just won't look correct, when the armhole is not well formed.

Rosemary's advice about referring to the strain map is very, very helpful. When I'm draping something it it doesn't seem to do what it should, I turn it on. More often than not, I've got pinching somewhere because it's too tight and the cloth can't drape properly.

It's not just a newbie thing, we all do it.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:22 pm

ToyMcBride,

Did you watch my darts tutorial? It's for sewing, but it may help you to understand better. I used MD to illustrate my designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlC0oUVD_To

I show how to sew the darts, which may help you to understand how they are constructed in 'real world' work.