Need help with Fringe

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
gshotton

Need help with Fringe

Post by gshotton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 am

Hello to you all,

My Name is Gary Shotton and I’m new to the forum and this was my first attempt at using MD (version 7). This project started as a personal interest attempt at an architectural reconstruction of the so called “Royal Villa” near the Main Bronze Age Minoan palace complex at Knossos, on the island of Crete. This is an ongoing work in progress.

Using a combination of photographs of restored Minoan wall paintings, mainly from the archeological site at Akrotiri on the Island of Thera, and the reference works by Dr. Bernice R. Jones “Ariadne’s Threads: The construction and significance of clothes in the Aegean Bronze Age” and “Woven Threads: Patterned Textiles of the Aegean Bronze Age (Ancient Textiles Series)” by Maria Shaw and Anne Chapin, I’ve attempted to keep the models as historically accurate as my modest computer skills will permit.

My workflow to date has been a combination of using Photoshop, Modo and Marvelous Designer with variable levels of success. However, I have come across a road block that I have not been able to solve….. adding horizontal fringe panels to the wrap around outer skirt. Any help or advise would be most welcome.

Thanks

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Need help with Fringe

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Fringe can be approached in three main ways.

1. The first method is to create many, many, (many....!) thin strips. (Using either the unfold function or the duplicate pattern function makes this easier.) This gives a better looking fringe, but at the cost of the computer choking on the shear amount of mesh it has to handle in simulations.
2. The second method is to create wider panels, and use something like Photoshop to create a transparency mask for those panels. This looks much more like fringe, but at the cost of having the entire panel move as one during simulations, which will not look realistic.

3. The third option is to combine the two above options. Make narrow panels, (not as thin as the first option), and use the masking option to create a panel that represents several strands of fringe. This allows a better looking movement during simulation, but lowers the amount of mesh needed. You will have to judge by experiment just how narrow this panel should be, based on your computer's capabilities.

As a secondary note, you can stack layers of whatever fringe you make to create a thicker looking fringe, but again consider your mesh complexity.

gshotton

Post by gshotton » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you Rosemaryr for your comments and for pointing me in the right direction. I came across a video tutorial on YouTube by Vintorix on making fringes and trims in Marvelous Designer that covers some of the approaches that you describe in your post. So now I’m in experimental mode to see what I can achieve with the hybrid method you describe in the third item of your post.

I’m also trying to import as an .obj file type a 3d modeled fringe into MD’s 3d work window to see what type results I can achieve. As you would expect this is extremely memory intensive so the whole process slows to a crawl, but I have gotten some interesting results. The biggest issue I have encountered, along with the snail like simulation speed, is trying to control the process for consistency by finding a better way of attaching the individual fringe strands during the simulation process if that is possible?

I’m using an iMac Pro with a high end 18 core hardware configuration so in theory I should have enough muscle to power through to achieve a better result. I have been using MD 7.5, but I recently upgraded my system software to OSX Mojave….. which I found after installing is not supported by Marvelous Designer. Hopefully MD 8’s imminent release will resolve this issue. I will post my results when I have some.

Thanks again

G

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm

[*snip*
The biggest issue I have encountered, along with the snail like simulation speed, is trying to control the process for consistency by finding a better way of attaching the individual fringe strands during the simulation process if that is possible?

*snip*
G
[/quote]

Your best approach, for attaching many pattern items, is to use the "Many-To-One" (M to N) sewing function, combined with duplication. With the M-to-N, you 'sew' first the single long edge or internal line, then, holding down the Shift key, select in sequence, the multiple edges to be attached to it. [Make sure your sewing direction arrows are the same on both sides to avoid weirdness!] Simulate the sewing into position. You can then select and duplicate that whole group as a pre-sewn group to another location, to save time.

However, I'm not sure how this would take to multiple imported .obj items.... you'll have to try it out.