I need some advice regarding inner linings and ironing.

Show us what you're working on and we'll provide words of encouragement and constructive criticism to achieve the best results possible.
orilles

I need some advice regarding inner linings and ironing.

Post by orilles » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:07 am

23232323.png
23232323.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 573 times
This is my current project, its been over a year since I last used MD, I'm perfectly happy making simple things in MD but this item has proven to be a little difficult.

if you look at the screen shots you will see what Im trying to do.

I would like to make a gown, which is mounted on a wooden pole. firstly for a render and then later as a game object.

I never used to bother doing interior layers (using the layer clone tool) however I kept coming across people using it for making jackets, so I thought it would be ideal for this.

top picture is the gown with 2 layers, (inner layer is layer clone under, then flip normals)

the bottom row is just a single layer.

however in both types, when changing the particle distance it still looks a mess/z fighting etc. the normals of the layers are facing the correct directions. I tried changing the fabric type, same sort of problem. any ideas?

If you see the images at the bottom you can see the type of look I want to get , nice and flat.

LoriGriffiths

Re: I need some advice regarding inner linings and ironing.

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:28 am

It is much easier, and less geometry, to simply apply a different material to the front and back. This is possible in MD itself. You can also export your garment with thickness and have two layers in other programs for applying texture.

If you really want two layers in MD, you may want to play with the offset distance settings. Make sure you don't have the Pressure set on either of them, as this will cause problems, too.