Sewing issues when simulating garment

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
marie_costume

Sewing issues when simulating garment

Post by marie_costume » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 am

Hello,

I'm very new to Marvelous Designer so apologies for not really knowing any technical terms yet...I need to create garments by importing FBX figures that have been previously animated by someone else. When I add sewn seams instead of the stitching lines coming up on the 3d screen as thin lines it is coming up as almost a solid block. Then when I simulate the garment it takes a long time to stitch, then once it does the garment shrinks up and/or goes 'spikey' before crashing Marvelous Designer. I have tried opening a standard Avatar from the program and have no problems with the stitching when I do this, so I'm guessing it means there's a problem somewhere with the animated figure I'm importing. Being very new to MD I have no idea what this issue could be and I'm struggling to find anything online that can help me. If anyone knows what could be causing this to happen any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Attachments
2017-04-10 (3).png
'spikey'
2017-04-10 (3).png (354.45 KiB) Viewed 528 times
2017-04-10.png
stitching as a block, not thin lines
2017-04-10.png (346.71 KiB) Viewed 528 times

BiggR

Re: Sewing issues when simulating garment

Post by BiggR » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 am

Off the cuff, it could be something in the mesh resolution, both of the garment and the fbx. Difficult to tell from the two images. Try reducing the resolution of the garment to see if that helps. Maybe also post an image of the setup in wireframe so we can see if that is a possibility.

Depending on your computer system, it may be that MD is having a problem with a dense mesh.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Sewing issues when simulating garment

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 pm

It does look like you have the Particle Distance set very low on these patterns. Select all of the patterns and set it to 20 and see what happens. I think your computer is crashing because of the low Particle Distance, just as BiggR suggested.