Seams not visible after export

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
lucian

Re: Seams not visible after export

Post by lucian » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi Rosemaryr
Thank you for your reply.I know what u told me but my question is how did u achieved the final image where you can see the seams in ZBrush?This is my problem I am not able to see them in Zrush

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:49 pm

It is just how I described:
1. Create your garment with the internal lines marking the 'seams'.
2. Select those internal lines, one by one, using the basic selection tool, and set the Fold angle to 360 degrees. You find this option in the Properties panel. You can use a stronger Fold Strength if that helps....
3. Select each of the (sewing) seam lines, using the seam adjustment tool, and also set the Fold angle to 360 degrees.
4. Select the entire garment (all the pattern pieces) and set the Particle Distance to 5. This give the finer detailing.
5. Simulate the garment, to allow the changes to effect the way the garment drapes.
6. With the entire garment selected, Export (selected) to OBJ.
7. Import the OBJ into ZBrush, and you should see the garment as I had in the final image.

If your garment fits too tightly (ie., if your pattern pieces don't have enough 'room'), the fabric will be stretched over the avatar's mesh, and any folding will be pulled flat in the simulation. Make sure your garment has plenty of size to allow for the actual 3D aspect of your avatar.... Turn ON the Strain map display to see how tightly the garment fits.... too much red and the folds will not be nearly as visible. Increase the overal size of the pattern pieces to adjust this. I know you want a 'bodysuit' type garment (judging from the sample image), but you do need that extra cloth, as MD will tend to treat it's cloth like spandex.... pulling it much tighter than it should be.
If you look at the screen captures of my MD garment, you can see that the shirt actually lies fairly loosely on the avatar. If you want a (for example) leather look bodysuit, then instead of a tightly fitting garment, adjust the --material-- to a stiffer fabric, so it behaves like leather.

lucian

Post by lucian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi Rosemaryr,
I did all the steps you described and still no result :(.I don't know what else to try (I am sure it might be a silly option I miss of when I export the mesh to thick something to show the seams on the mesh) other that that I cant think of anything else .
Thank you
Lucian

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for explaining what I was not understanding. I don't export my meshes as one object, always as separate pieces and I don't apply thickness in MD. I do all of that in Blender with modifiers. Thus my confusion.

Thank you for all the images and instructions. Very well done. I'm going to give your method a try.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:22 am

lucian wrote:Hi Rosemaryr,
I did all the steps you described and still no result :(.I don't know what else to try (I am sure it might be a silly option I miss of when I export the mesh to thick something to show the seams on the mesh) other that that I cant think of anything else .
Thank you
Lucian
Did you try making the pattern pieces a bit larger, to add some looseness to the garment? Your example image shows a pretty tightly fitting garment.

Hmmm.... Exporting as a thick mesh: that may be the difference. I do not use the thickness option.
Just tested that....nope.
Used Export>obj, option of: as single object, thick. Each of the fabric choices were set to Thickness of 2.0 in the Properties panel.
the shirt still come through just as before, but now with a bit of thickness to the mesh, instead of the single layer of mesh. The seams indicated by the internal lines looked just the same.
Second addendum: I did notice something interesting when I went to a Thickness setting of 5.... the seams at the shoulders became disconnected:
The 'seams' marked by the internal lines became a bit more blurred at that setting, but are still clearly visible.

(Third addendum: the separation at the shoulders happened in MD....the export captured what was there...)

raden92

Post by raden92 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

Can you show us your finished design? I kinda want to see the result :)
Maybe I can give some comment and review :D
Thanks!
Komunikasia - The company of design agency and graphic design jakarta