Seams not visible after export

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
lucian

Seams not visible after export

Post by lucian » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:25 pm

Hi Guys,
I recently across the fallowing problem and I would appreciate if someone could please help me.I created a mesh and I indend to export this into ZBrush for further edit.When I import the mesh in ZBrush my seams lines are not visible anymore.Is there a button I miss when export in order to view the ZBrush?
Thank you
Lucian

LoriGriffiths

Re: Seams not visible after export

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Can you better explain what you mean by seam lines? When you export garments, the patterns are just objects. They aren't actually "sewn" in other programs. That's just a simulation feature that MD applies to bring the objects edge-to-edge.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:30 pm

A suggestion: create a different MD fabric for each and every pattern piece. What I do is copy one fabric, then change the color setting by one RGB point. This ensures that each piece has it's own material. It also helps (in the latest verision of MD), to *name* each of the different materials the same as the pattern piece that it is used for. MD will save these names for the materials as part of the obj/mtl definition.
Then export the garment as an obj file.
In ZBrush, under Preferences, make sure that the Import preference is set to "Import mat as groups".
Import the obj file (Tool> import), and have the polygroups colored. You can then go into the Subtools, and split by groups. The seam edges will then be available easily.
(As a note, the internal lines and seams *will* be visible in the mesh even if you use the same material setting on either side of that seam or line, and you can probably select them by those edges, if you are careful enough....)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Lori: What is meant, is that when an exported garment comes into another 3D program, the pieces are in fact joined together as one larger mesh. The original poster wants to be able to manipulate that mesh along the specific edges of the original MD pattern pieces (usually to add detailing like top-stitching indentations, etc.) So, to do that in ZBrush, you need a way to separate the individual pattern pieces, each in their own right.

lucian

Post by lucian » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Rosemary and LoriGriffiths ,
I would like to thank you for your prompt response.I would also like to mention that this has never hapened to me before and I know how to separate them in Zbrush that shouldn't be a problem.Please have a look at the image I did attached and hopefully that will help me explain much better.
Thank you
Lucian
Attachments
Example.jpg
Example.jpg (531.23 KiB) Viewed 7089 times

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:55 am

It is a matter of *how* you set your display preferences, in both MD and ZBrush.
In MD, the default is to show the lines in the 3D window, but they can be turned off, so you can see just the mesh, or just the flat-textured garment.
In ZBrush, the same is true. If you turn on Polygroup display, (so the mesh is visible), the lines will be visible, to a certain extent. You will see a continuous line, instead of the random tri-poly mesh, where those internal lines are.

I have to get ready for work just now, but in the morning, I can set up some example pictures to clearly show the steps.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Okay, I've had some time to whip up some example pics.

-----------------
First, you need to understand the default conditions that exist in MD.
"Sewing" together two pattern pieces is the equivalent of "Welding two mesh patches" in other 3d programs. The two pieces are joined together into one larger piece. In real-world terms, it is the equivalent of putting two pieces of paper side-by-side and taping them together. The default 'seam'/weld/join is entirely flat....there is NO physical bending of the mesh to achieve this joining.
The default seamlines that you are looking at, in the 3D window, are ***purely*** visual aids.... added by the graphic engine in MD. There are no real indicators in the mesh itself *except* that the seamlines and the internal lines force the mesh to conform to those lines.

Here is two example pictures, one from MD and one from ZBrush, showing the garment with the default seamlines and internal lines:
In the first picture, the default state is on the left, shows all lines, which is what you are normally looking at. On the right, those visual aids are turned off, and what you see is closer to the actual mesh's appearance.
In the second picture, the same garment as above is imported into ZBrush. Again, the image on the left is the default ZB display... which just shows the mesh by it's surface. On the right, is how it looks when the Polygroups are turned on, and you can see the mesh layout more clearly.
If you look closely, you can see -where- the seamlines and the internal lines are.... they are the only places where the polys' edges form continuous lines.

Again, this is the default conditions that exist.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Now, to obtain the actual *mesh physical* indicators of a seam you need to take additional steps.

The methods I mentioned earlier in this thread, was focused on ZBrush.... it was meant as a way to access the individual pattern pieces *in ZBrush* as a means of further detailing work. However, there are limitations, especially when it comes to those internal line constructions.
In ZBrush, you would need to be able to carefully select along those poly edges and that could be tricky.
Instead, a better approach would be at the beginning, in MD.

Select each seamline, or internal line, and assign a folding strength/angle to it. To replicate a seam where there is an indentation, the angle you would want in 360 degrees. Do this along every line that you want 'folded'.
This creates an actual mesh indicator of the seam.
And here is how it looks when imported into ZBrush.

Obviously, you would want a finer mesh, if the seam is to be a delicate one..... These examples were done at the default Particle Distance of 20.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:50 pm

And, of course, if the jaggy edges of the seams are a concern, use the file menu option of 3D garment> Quadrangulate to make then more regular.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Granted the examples are roughly done. As I said, they were done at a default mesh density. For a 'finished' garment you would want more details, and need a smaller mesh.
You can either make a denser mesh in MD, or sub-divide it in ZBrush, depending on which method you feel more comfortable using.

Here is the **same** garment as above, but now adjusted to MD setting of Particle Distance = 5, in MD and then imported into ZBrush.