Pattern Blocks

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
Megan Halley

Pattern Blocks

Post by Megan Halley » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:35 am

I've been driving myself nuts with this for a few days now.

I really wanted to make some pattern blocks, but I wanted to be able to do the slash and pivot method for the dart manipulation, like Lori did in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlC0oUVD ... RvLrTidpXt

My question is: is there a way to do this virtually/digitally? I am working with the SL default avatar (and yes, I'm pulling my hair out). I got some decent (I hope) slopers made, but I really wanted to take that base bodice and be able to slash and pivot for different dart placements and seams without having to "guess 'n' gosh."

I am still running the demo version of QCAD--it's fully operational for the first 15 minutes on launch, so I did try Lori's plug-in with it. As, you know, the bodice generated has a waist dart, but I haven't found a way to pivot that segment to close the dart and move the pattern around. I'm probably missing something really basic, but any tips or help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: Duh. I found my answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnvP1PlyNC0

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Pattern Blocks

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Edit: I see you found the method using QCAD, but here's an all MD solution for those that don't have QCAD.

it's fairly simple, if all you want is slopers/blocks.
I took a screen capture of Lori's video, of the slash/pivot block she used. (I hope you don't mind, Lori??) I've attached that as an image file to this reply. You can copy it from this message.
DartSloper.jpg
DartSloper.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Take that, create a new fabric choice, apply it as the texture. Create a new rectangular pattern piece and set it to this textured fabric.
Scale the texture to fit the avatar's size. I would save this as a separate garment file, for future use/re-use, as a starting place to create any other new designs.

Then simply trace over whichever set of cut lines you want for your pattern pieces.
See this example, where I have been tracing each sub-pattern. Obviously, you would trace out larger, connected patterns, from the sections that would create the darts where you want them, just like in Lori's video.
Tracing.jpg
Tracing.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:04 pm

Megan,

Lori has also posted a video on measurements and includes the measurements for the Second Life AV. https://www.fearlessmakers.com/measure- ... -designer/ You should be able to enter that information into Lori's add-on for QCAD to help with pattern drafting as well. And, QCAD is not overly expensive if you wish to upgrade. I think I paid about $37.00 for it...cheapest software I have ever purchased! Now, if I just had time to sit down and learn it. LOL

Everything is so tiny when working with the SL AV, especially shoulder straps, they lay oddly in the T-Pose and I always have to fix them in Blender. Not to mention, the slopped back can make draping a pure pain in MD sometimes!

Rosemayr posted some information how to move a garment from one project to another as I was making my Regency Dress. Would be useful for Pattern Block project files so you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time. Just move the simulated garment to a new project file and alter it there.

Also, if you have MD4, there is a new feature for rotation that might help. It works rather well or did for me the other day. It is almost to the bottom of this page. http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/learn/md4

Megan Halley

Post by Megan Halley » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, and yes, I was about to do something similar to what Rosemaryr had shown, but I. am. lazy. :)

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Rosemary, always feel free to to use any of my content and expand on it. Your insights are invaluable.

Megan, I totally understand the lazy thing. I get that way myself when things seem too daunting. You should give Rosemary's technique a go. You'd be surprised at how fast you get at this type of thing, once you do it a time or two. Also, it teaches you a lot about pattern manipulation. You don't have to use QCAD at all. You can do many of these things in MD, it may just take a bit more time.

Megan Halley

Post by Megan Halley » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:04 pm

I did get the program a few days ago. I'd intended to buy it, but I just wanted to make sure it would do pattern manipulation that I wanted it to do. Since it did, I snatched it up!

Rosemaryr's technique is great for using only MD. :D