"action back" or "shooting jacket"

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
MarcusLaGrone

"action back" or "shooting jacket"

Post by MarcusLaGrone »

I'm trying to do a variation on an English shooting jacket or "action back" jacket. Not having one in hand, I'm trying to understand how it goes together. Is it just pleated and sewn at the top and then the bottom corners? Can anyone point me to reference pictures of how it is sewn/patterned?

--mjlg
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: "action back" or "shooting jacket"

Post by Rosemaryr »

It is typically called a Norfolk hunt jacket. And it usually is pleated on the back, and occasionally on the front as well. Sometimes, the pleats are concealed in a 'suspenders' look, on front and back. But the placement of the pleats can be highly variable, so you can choose as you please.

Here are some reference pictures. https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... et+pattern

Here are some old patterns for a couple of styles:

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr »

(On that second image, the jacket is the kind where the pleats are concealed in the 'suspenders'.)
MarcusLaGrone

Post by MarcusLaGrone »

Awesome! Thank you! I've been freeze framing shots of Steed from The Avengers (the BBC one, kidos!) trying to understand what is going and this helps a lot!