Hi Lori! What's the best way to learn to make PERFECT-FIT patterns

Are you lost in MD because you don't know anything about sewing? Are you a skilled seamstress? Meet up here and help each other out.
itsheyli

Hi Lori! What's the best way to learn to make PERFECT-FIT patterns

Post by itsheyli » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:17 am

I am struggling financially right now as I have no income whatsoever and really trying to learn this software and pattern making. I Took your "Learn MD" course (which was AMAZING THANK YOU for such a well thought out course btw) and I realized that though your class taught me a great deal, my problem is pattern making. I cannot draft well-fitting patterns for my avatars. Visually the clothing on the 3D screen look DECENT at best but when I see the strain map, I get red everywhere ESPECIALLY at the armholes. I would love to know your opinion on what you feel is the BEST way to learn to draft patterns for MD avatars (I've taken real-life pattern making classes at trade schools and I am really not great at it) with the end goal to make them fit realistically on the MD avatar so that I can design my own clothing ON MD and shop them around. I read your post on how to make money using marvelous designer and you mentioned that the clothing we make on MD should fit as realistically as possible on the avatar but I cannot seem to do this as my pattern making skills are quite bad and I simply cannot afford another trade school class at the moment. What do you think is the best way to learn how to create these perfect fitting patterns for the avatars (having my end goal of shopping my designs around to eventually make the designs in real life) ? I would love your honest opinion. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Hi Lori! What's the best way to learn to make PERFECT-FIT patterns

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:43 pm

If you are planning to use only the native MD avatars, then start with the included clothing patterns in the library. Those already are fitted properly. From there, concentrate on alteration of those patterns to create your own garments. The MD team has already stated that people can use those as starting points for salable items.

For example, start with a basic sleeve, and make variations like this:

Here are some bodice variations: Image

Or this for skirts: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/131659989092792182/

Here is a page filled with images showing how a basic pattern is changed into something new. (Many of these sites are in other languages, but the images clearly show the original pattern overlaid with the new design.)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411164640964985459/

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi itsheyli,
Thanks for taking my class, I really appreciate the support.

What Rosemary is saying is true. All patterns in the real world are created from slopers or basic block patterns as a starting point. Then the patterns are manipulated using different techniques. I am in the process of creating a new Udemy class that is specifically about this process.

I will send you a private message through this site with more details. You are a perfect student for this class.

Lori

itsheyli

Post by itsheyli » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Rosemaryr wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:43 pm
If you are planning to use only the native MD avatars, then start with the included clothing patterns in the library. Those already are fitted properly. From there, concentrate on alteration of those patterns to create your own garments. The MD team has already stated that people can use those as starting points for salable items.

For example, start with a basic sleeve, and make variations like this:

Here are some bodice variations: Image

Or this for skirts: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/131659989092792182/

Here is a page filled with images showing how a basic pattern is changed into something new. (Many of these sites are in other languages, but the images clearly show the original pattern overlaid with the new design.)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/411164640964985459/
Hi Rosemary, Thanks you SO MUCH for you reply and you suggestions and those pictures. I never even thought of working with the preloaded garments that come in MD, in fact I naively made it difficult by literally drafting up patterns on MD for the avatars FROM SCRATCH. needless to say, I would end up with nothing done and a headache by the end of the day.
So thank you so much for your advice and suggestions!! I will start on this today and update tonight on my progress. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

itsheyli

Post by itsheyli » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 pm

LoriGriffiths wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:55 pm
Hi itsheyli,
Thanks for taking my class, I really appreciate the support.

What Rosemary is saying is true. All patterns in the real world are created from slopers or basic block patterns as a starting point. Then the patterns are manipulated using different techniques. I am in the process of creating a new Udemy class that is specifically about this process.

I will send you a private message through this site with more details. You are a perfect student for this class.

Lori
Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for all you do!! Your class was amazingly well thought out. I feel like I learned that software extremely fast. YAY! a new class on patterns!! I Thank you so much for your response I will be on the lookout for the PM.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Don't forget to look under the "Modular" area, as well.... They have a variety of pieces that you can mix and match, and alter, for each of the native avatars. :D

itsheyli

Post by itsheyli » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi rosemary, Sorry for the late post. I got a terrible bug and have been sick for days. But im all good now :D

I tried your suggestions of working off the patterns that come already loaded on MD and so far so good!! IM SUPER EXCITED!! Perhaps (if it's allowed) I might post a pic of what pre-loaded garment I worked off of and what I modified it into. Thanks again to you and Lori for all your help!!!

Oh havent tried the modular area yet...will do that tomorrow and update :D

Thanks again gals!!

itsheyli

Post by itsheyli » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi Lori & Rosemary and everyone :D sorry to bother you all but I had a quick question,

Are the garments in the library or the blocks in the configurator section of MD sized to a specific native MD avatar? I just switched to "female avatar C" (a much fuller curvier avatar than avatar A that I was initially using) and when I tried to put the block patterns on her, my strain map showed red at her bust. I am assuming these patterns were made for avatar A? If I wanted to use them on avatar C, where do you suggest I start looking to fix the tightness on the bust & sleeve? I was thinking the lowering the armholes(elongating the armhole from the bottom point of it, does that make sense)? I am not that great at pattern making/ adjusting, sorry :oops:
preloaded patterns.PNG
preloaded patterns.PNG (240.54 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Also, I watched a tutorial on YT and saw a tiny garment get perfectly fitted (visually at least, strain map was not shown) onto a very big avatar, several times bigger than the dress by manipulating the "shrinkage weft" option on MD and NOTHING ELSE (If I find the video i'll post the link). Do you think it's a good practice to fit garments onto larger or smaller avatars this way? I was hoping to know the pros and cons of this method and if it was generally acceptable to do this if one is looking to fit garments realistically onto avatars without having to recreate it if it is already made for another avatar. If I may ask, what are your thoughts on this?

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:05 pm

If you are looking for a good fit, it is not easy to modify an existing garment to fit another body. As you know, when you draft a pattern all the measurements are used at different points. Dropping an armhole or widening the pattern is not going to result in a great fit.

You are correct about your assumption on fit for shrinkage with warp and weft. You really don't want to see the strain map on that technique, it will be bright red. For the most part, people are not looking for great fit in MD. They are making conforming clothing for DAZ or Sansar or games. They will weight paint the cloth so it matches the body and moves as one. I don't think that's what you are looking for, based on your comments.

I'm not sure what avatar was used for the configurator clothing in MD. It doesn't seem to fit any of them perfectly.

itsheyli

Post by itsheyli » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Oh Lori you really are the BEST!! You answered my next question (which was precisely going to be about the fit for video games) before I even asked it!! A friend of mine who is an environment artist for video games, suggested that I learn to make clothing for video game characters and I wondered if character artists seek perfect MD fits or if they used other means to make the garments look like they are perfectly made.

I was hoping to freelance making clothing for game characters while simultaneously learning to make perfect fit patterns for the avatars so that once I squirrel up some cash from the freelance work, I could shop my perfect fit designs around to small stores and have the capital to fund my initial order. Does that make sense? (sorry for the long and twisted explanation :D )

I am still revisiting my old pattern making and clothing alteration books and trying to apply that to my avatar's clothing. However, as you said, It is VERY DIFFICULT to alter one pattern meant for one avatar to another as the fit ends up extremely wonky.

I have been making basic blocks for the curvy native avatar on MD but somehow they end up not fitting correctly anyway, :lol: ! Perhaps I am measuring the avatar incorrectly? Like using the wrong measuring tape tool on MD? (which I highly doubt since I learned in your course what measurements to note when creating my block).

Anywho, I'll keep at it. Im bound to get it right.

THANK YOU A MILLION FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! You really cleared up a lot of questions I had. I LOVE YOUR FORUM!! THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT RESOURCE!!!