Loss of Detail from MD to Daz Studio?

Are you a Daz user struggling to incorporate MD? Are you a Daz expert? Ask questions or help others here.

Loss of Detail from MD to Daz Studio?

Post by diane.rooney-pinchbeck » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to MD but learning fast thanks to Lori's PatternMaker Pro plus all the great help in the forums and YouTube.

Ok, I've created a skirt for the Genesis 3 Female in MD but when I import it into Daz Studio, it's lost some of the details. It seems too "smooth" and the folds don't look as nice.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it? I don't really want to use ZBrush as I was hoping to make a few movement and fitting morphs using different poses in MD and exporting them out.

Does anyone know what settings I need when exporting an obj so it is the best it can be before importing into Daz Studio?

Thanks for your help
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.44.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.44.15.png (512.01 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.43.33.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.43.33.png (552.22 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

Re: Loss of Detail from MD to Daz Studio?

Post by KTdid » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Hey Diane,

I think the problem you are running into is coming from MD, though, I am very much a newbie with MD.

In MD, I would set the "Particle Distance" to a lower number, which evidently will give more detail. I am unsure if this will work but it is worth a try.

Also, with DAZ, what you see in the Viewport may not be what it actually going to be in the render. Also, if that is the case, there is huge difference between rendering in 3DL and Iray. I have found that 3DL doesn't like it when 3 points of 3 different polys are in one place. Iray has no problems.

Re: Loss of Detail from MD to Daz Studio?

Post by Tarby » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:23 pm

In DS go to Edit > Geometry > Convert to SubD

Under the object's parameters tab, and under Mesh Resolution, you can change the SubD algorithm from Catmark to Loop, which is better for thick meshes exported from MD (it doesn't smooth and round the mesh boundaries and corners). If you follow those steps you'll find much of the detail lost in export restored.