how to make morph targets in MD for Daz

Are you a Daz user struggling to incorporate MD? Are you a Daz expert? Ask questions or help others here.
Designer

how to make morph targets in MD for Daz

Post by Designer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,
Just getting back into MD after being away from it since version 2.
I made a skirt in MD
Exported it into DS as an obj for dynamic cloth.
so far all is well.

Now I would like to put some morphs in such as legs side way, bend etc.
Can I use that skirt obj in MD or do I have to use the garment pattern?

Can you tell me the sequence to export the avatar file.
Do I need to make an avatar animation?
If I can use the obj file how do I export it

How do i import into MD
How do I export the new sim as a morph target.

I have spent days looking on the web for this process. If there is a tutorial out there I would really
appreciate it.

Lori your tutorials rock!
Rosemaryr Your designs are gorgeous.

Cheerio
Designer

LoriGriffiths

Re: how to make morph targets in MD for Daz

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it. I'm afraid I don't do DAZ, so I'm no help there. Hopefully someone will chime in to help you.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Designer wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm
Hi,
Just getting back into MD after being away from it since version 2.
I made a skirt in MD
Exported it into DS as an obj for dynamic cloth.
so far all is well.

Now I would like to put some morphs in such as legs side way, bend etc.
Can I use that skirt obj in MD or do I have to use the garment pattern?

Can you tell me the sequence to export the avatar file.
Do I need to make an avatar animation?
If I can use the obj file how do I export it

How do i import into MD
How do I export the new sim as a morph target.

I have spent days looking on the web for this process. If there is a tutorial out there I would really
appreciate it.

Lori your tutorials rock!
Rosemaryr Your designs are gorgeous.

Cheerio
Designer
I am not a DAZ user also, but there are a few points that I can address.

If your intent is to use the MD-exported .obj as a dynamic garment inside DAZ (?using the dForce approach?) then you will not need morphs in the garment. That is what dynamic cloth systems are for... natural movement which doesn't need pre-made morphed positions.
If you want to make conforming garments, then you will have to do that inside DAZ. (I don't know the system to do that: in Poser, there is a way to copy morphs from a figure and it's movement poses to a garment, but DAZ....???) You will probably have to ask in one of the DAZ forums on that kind of technical point.
If you are trying to just make a morph target for MD to use in it's simulation, then a simple .obj will work, as long as it has ***EXACTLY** the same vertex count/etc. as the original pose. Just have the original posed avatar with it's garment inside MD, then use the import .obj "As Morph Target" option. Do be aware that radical combinations of movements can easily create issues, such as a combination of a twist plus a bend plus world position change, as MD operates on a straight-line calculation from start position to end position. Thus, an arm or leg will literally turn itself inside out during the sim in order to achieve it's end spot, taking any cloth in the way along with it on it's wild ride.
As to importing an animation *into* MD, I believe the preferred format is .fbx or .dae, but again, that's not really in my ball-court. But having that information may make it easier to find the specific info you need.

(...and, thank you!)

Designer

Post by Designer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Lori and Rosmaryr,
Lori,
I have watched almost all of your tutorials. You are a brilliant educator.

Rosmaryr,
Thanks so much for the valuable info.
I am making it for dynamic cloth. I see that a lot of vendors are adding extra morphs for dForcethat. That's why I was interested in adding more morphs. Having worked in Poser's cloth room I know there can be challenges.
Because I am just getting back into MD I want to keep it very simple. Quality is my most important
goal.
You have given me a lot of great info and I do have a better idea how to move in and out of the 2 programs.

I quite like this forum. It seems a much kinder and informative place. To me forums are really important. Not only are they necessary for information but they create a sense of community.
Have a wonderful day.

Cheerio
Designer