Customizing sizes in QCAD

Drafting patterns with QCAD for you MD avatars? Having problems using QCAD? Ask your questions here.
CAProducts14

Customizing sizes in QCAD

Post by CAProducts14 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Everyone ... I would love to hear your insights into what I am trying to do.
1. I used Lori's skirt block add-on in QCAD Pro to create a custom sized block
2. I then created a pattern for a skirt with pockets/panels/waistband/etc.
3. I tested the pattern by making a muslin
4. Now I would like to be able to use this same pattern but be able to adjust it to someone else's custom measurements.

QCAD add-on measurement template is great for creating the block. Once the pattern is done, what is the process to be able to adjust the pattern to different sizes? I consider this different from grading as I am trying to get a workflow that allows for individual sizing for each person's specific measurements.

Anyone experience or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Customizing sizes in QCAD

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:44 pm

There are only two ways that I know of to achieve this in QCAD. You can refine your pattern based on the muslin in QCAD and then use traditional grading techniques or create custom measurement files for each of your models, draft with the add-on and adjust each one.

QCAD just isn't meant for production type sewing pattern work. The other options like Optitex and such are extremely expensive. However, I did use a program years ago that is more affordable and will likely do what you need. It's called Fashion CAD.

http://www.fashioncad.net/

Even though their website is awful, the product really is good. Like I said, it's been years, but it's the most affordable pattern drafting software I know of.