Why ZBrush?

Want to just chat with like minded users about other things, besides MD? Here's the place to do it.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Re: Why ZBrush?

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:19 pm

I agree with you Rosemayr. It's like Gimp vs Photoshop. While I can translate information about Gimp to Photoshop, the opposite is not true for me. Gimp is so alien to me I can barely use it. It is all what we feel comfy with, what we can afford, and what makes sense. Maybe someday Zbrush will make sense or Maya (I do have a little better understanding of it...not much) but I need an educator to help me with that I can understand.

The world be terribly boring if we were all the same and did things the same way.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Morgaine,

Your mention of CG Cookie is very fortunate. I have been a member for several years. I'm also a member of Lynda.com. The courses on Lynda are lacking, so I wouldn't recommend signing up just for Blender.

The folks at CG Cookie are good, really, really good. They know Blender in and out. They attend the Blender conferences in Europe and have a real association with the core group. They have just redone their website with complete learning series for several topics.

There old site tended to focus on more advanced tutorials and scared beginners off. They have completely changed their focus now and are more beginner oriented. I've watched the Blender series it its entirety and you won't find a better starter series.

I've just started using Blender to finish off my materials and such on my MD work. It works amazingly well. I've been in contact with them and I have an upcoming video in August talking about Blender for MD. They've also provided me a coupon code to give to everyone to receive a discount on membership. Stay tuned for that!

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:32 pm

LoriGriffiths wrote:Morgaine,

Your mention of CG Cookie is very fortunate. I have been a member for several years. I'm also a member of Lynda.com. The courses on Lynda are lacking, so I wouldn't recommend signing up just for Blender.

The folks at CG Cookie are good, really, really good. They know Blender in and out. They attend the Blender conferences in Europe and have a real association with the core group. They have just redone their website with complete learning series for several topics.

There old site tended to focus on more advanced tutorials and scared beginners off. They have completely changed their focus now and are more beginner oriented. I've watched the Blender series it its entirety and you won't find a better starter series.

I've just started using Blender to finish off my materials and such on my MD work. It works amazingly well. I've been in contact with them and I have an upcoming video in August talking about Blender for MD. They've also provided me a coupon code to give to everyone to receive a discount on membership. Stay tuned for that!
I have been a member of both Lynda and Digitaltutors for a short time, and both had some courses of interest I have taken. I wasn't very overly impressed with the single Marvelous Designer course offered by Digitaltutors. It's okay but I wouldn't honestly recommend especially after watching the beginner MD video you have created. I been directing new folks, who are interested to it instead. Better information, better explained, easier to understand.

I too have been a member of CG Cookies for a couple of years but never did much with it. The site was so confusing. I always found their tutorials either not interesting, to difficult for a beginner, or just not relevant to what I wanted to do. I fear most of what I found was more relevant to the tastes of gentleman than ladies. Making swords, guns, and airplanes are simply not my idea of interesting, I need something interesting to spark my imagination. I think I will make a few suggestions to the CG Team.

The new site composition at CG Cookies, which they recently unveiled is much nicer. It gives you direction as a beginner and those who are more advanced as well. I will now recommend the site more, especially the basic beginner's workflow. I was so impressed, I actually became a citizen for a year. I am so glad they are changing their focus! It was very nice of them to make that offer of the coupon code and I hope people take advantage of it.

ClusterOne

Post by ClusterOne » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:28 am

I'm not sure people are flocking per se; that would imply they were moving from one package to another. Zbrush has been the industry standard for over a decade. I would imagine most hobbyists pick up Zbrush because its the most popular sculpting package out there. And there are good technical reasons why its so popular; to grossly simplify them: it runs better at higher polygon counts, more robust and intuitive toolset. It sort of does everything; really well.

I've recently been dabbling in Blender and while I could rant endlessly about how I hate the interface, I discovered quickly how poor its sculpting toolset was when lined up against Zbrush. It was slow, clunky and other than dynamic topology (which is pretty cute for concepting) I literally can't think of one good reason to use it over Zbrush (other than the fact its free).

Mudbox on the other hand felt like a decent contender with Zbrush. With ptex support and proper lighting, not to mention its awesome texturing tools, Mudbox is definitely a solid application for sculpting. Considering the price slash, I can totally see this program being a nice substitute to Zbrush if you want an easy to pick up, comparably powerful sculpting application with a comprehensive texturing toolset. Heck the price slash might make you consider buying it for its texturing toolset alone; it makes a pretty decent substitute to Mari, in my humble opinion.

In my opinion, once you GoZ, you never go back (sorry I had to make that joke).

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:38 pm

I am a horrible sculptor in 3D. I like to model using verts. Again, it's a preference thing. I think it's the same for Photoshop vs Illustrator people. I can't stand Photoshop and only use it when forced. I'm a huge fan of Illustrator. I'm a CAD person through and through, I understand CAD concepts.

When I first played with 3D, Maya 3 I think it was, it was all about verts. Of course I'm old enough to remember thinking that Windows was a complete joke with it's little icons to do things. I was big into DOS.

Live and learn.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:52 pm

I dunno, maybe you should try taking the CG Cookies Beginner's course.

They just added a sculpting set of videos in the Beginner's course. They teach you about the brushes (Yes, I am clueless about them why I hate ZBrush). Is even a project where you use "skin" modifier which will assist you in laying down the basic shape in Blender. I think he said is something similar in ZBrush but Lord only knows what and where it is. Organic modeling I haven't much of a clue how to do I am better at structural type things.

*Shudders at the thought of DOS, despises DOS. Must be why I have a Mac with all the cute icons. Grins Hugely*

vfxforge

Post by vfxforge » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Lori,

First post here. Just wanted to say thank you for all your efforts, I have really learned alot from your excellent videos.

I have been using Zbrush for over 4 years, it is the best digital sculpting program out there along with many tools to help create models for VFX, animation and games. it is an intermediate between MD / Zbrush / Maya,blender etc

Using Zbrush with meshes from MD one can.
- sculpt additional detail
- Zremesher , the auto retopology tool is one of the best to convert MD meshes into quads with predictable and controllable results
- turn the horrible triangulated MD mesh into usable low resolution meshes
- bake down normal maps and displacement maps for rendering
- texturing
- auto UV
- and general retweaking of the mesh if needed.

I am a new user of MD, previously I have been hand modelling and sculpting clothing in maya and zbrush.
I know nothing of MD for now, but feel free to ask any questions about zbrush / maya, I'd be happy to answer them.

cheers
John
My name is John. A VFX and CG Artist from Australia. Pleased to meet you.

website - http://www.vfxforge.com

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:18 pm

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I do have a question. You mentioned the ZBrush Zremesher. I agree that the quads generated from MD are awful.

When you take an MD garment into another program, like Blender, the UVs are already unwrapped. If you look at the pieces, they are unwrapped perfectly square. They look just like the 2D view of the patterns in MD, which is what you want and need. I've attached an image of those UV maps from Blender.

It is very important that the unwrapped UVs are exactly like those original patterns. But usually, if you try to unwrap UV's the program will use the draped garment as reference and they won't look like those original patterns.

What does the Zremesher do? Does it preserve those original UV maps or do they get messed up in the conversion process?
MD Quad UV.png
MD Quad UV.png (8.82 KiB) Viewed 2449 times

vfxforge

Post by vfxforge » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:04 am

Hi Lori, Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, maybe it should be its own tip/tricks.

Zremesher will not keep the UVs, all it does is turn any mesh into quads with controllable results.
For transferring of UV's this is done in Maya or other 3D programs.

I think where most people fall down regarding transferring of UVs and Animation is they start the process using the simulated mesh, where as the correct way to work is on the 'Flat un-simulated' garment, then transfer the UV and the simulated results onto the quaded mesh.

Check out the tutorial image attached, credits go to

The Source of the image is - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/printthrea ... =40&page=7

Zremesher can take time to get used to, as it is using an automated algorithm to solve the problem with user inputs, but it is far far quicker then hand retopologising :) unless of course you need absolute control of the topology, then doing it by hand is the only way.
Attachments
md_workflow.jpg
md_workflow.jpg (494.96 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
My name is John. A VFX and CG Artist from Australia. Pleased to meet you.

website - http://www.vfxforge.com

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 am

That's quite a workflow to get good Quads. That's fantastic that someone figured out how to do it, but the cost of the software used is well outside my budget.

Thanks for the great description.