Why ZBrush?

Want to just chat with like minded users about other things, besides MD? Here's the place to do it.
LoriGriffiths

Why ZBrush?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Many, many people are using ZBrush as their 3D modeling program, supplemental to MD. This surprises me because ZBrush is not cheap and a lot of MD folks are hobbyists with limited budgets.

More and more I see mention of this program in this forum and others. Why are people flocking to ZBrush? Is it more simplistic to use or are there other benefits? How can people afford such a program?

Just curious, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Lori

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Why ZBrush?

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:30 pm

Definitely NOT simplistic! But, extremely powerful.
Handles a huge variety of 3d sculpting styles, from building things from a basic cube, to organic flowing structures, to creating fur and hair. The list goes on.

I have made 'embroidery' stitches which I hope to decorate my MD clothes in ZBrush:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/75631/gallery/ ... ches-Set-1
To jewelry chains which can be draped and scaled to the avatars:
http://www.sharecg.com/v/67370/gallery/ ... Victoria-4

And I consider myself the merest neophyte when it come to ZBrush! I know there is a ton of stuff still to learn. I am going to have a very busy retirement in a few years!!

And as for affordability, I was lucky enough to hit a 50% off sale for version 2? 3? and the upgrades have been very reasonably priced.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Wow, those are nice objects to use with MD. I guess I'm most surprised that so few people choose Blender. It certainly is as capable as any other 3D package and it's free. I guess the learning curve is just to much for most?

Rosemary, do you stick to MD and ZBrush or do you use any other supplemental programs when you are working? I'm trying to learn what people are using and what their final goals are. I know that you are an artist, but do you also do Poser and Daz work?

I know that we have a bunch of game designers that want to learn MD, too.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 pm

My main program list is MD, Poser, and Photoshop, with ZBrush, and Painter as supplements, plus a handful of other programs to do specific tasks.

I have tried other programs, like Blender, for example. I just never felt the interface was 'right'. Same with DAZ Studio. There are a lot of great programs that others find 'better' than the ones I do, but I have never really 'grokked' them. The fit is all wrong, for one reason or another.
It is a matter, I think, of personal comfort as to which program or other gets chosen by anyone. I really love MD because it is how I 'think'... it works just like I would in real life: letting me make a pattern, then alter it on the fly.

Megan Halley

Post by Megan Halley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 am

I'm just learning ZBrush, and Rosemaryr is right, it's very powerful. I'm quite adept at Blender, and while it's good for a lot of 3D work, it's terrible at retopologizing mesh. MD puts out horrible mesh as game assets, and if you have to rig that to a character, even with the quad output, it can be messy and frustrating.

If you retopologize (at the very least) in ZBrush, the mesh comes out cleaner, with fewer polys, and usually more detail if you put it in there.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks Megan,
I'm new to Blender but find it very useful for my MD work. You're right about the MD quads, they are a bit of a mess. I'm just doing stills, not game assets so it works fine for me.

I think a lot of people are using MD for game items, so your insight is very helpful.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:47 pm

While, I have ZBrush, due to A LOT of scrimping, saving, and doing without, I wish I hadn't purchased it because I never use it. Used it a time or two for the remesher function but found it didn't create polys that great either. Frankly, everything is too too small to see with ZBrush, is difficult to use and learn, and certainly not a program for a beginner like myself. I will stick with something I know a bit about...Blender...and perhaps someday, try ZBrush again. Is a couple add-ons out for Blender at CGCookies called Contours and Polystrips, which do a good job for retopo work.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:44 am

Morgaine,
That's hilarious. Most people are scared to death of Blender and use ZBrush instead. Just goes to show that it's all a matter of what you're used to.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

LoriGriffiths wrote:Morgaine,
That's hilarious. Most people are scared to death of Blender and use ZBrush instead. Just goes to show that it's all a matter of what you're used to.
If you only knew....LOL!

I been struggling to learn Blender since 2007 or 2008. Before the new UI, beginning with 2.5X versions, I would download the product, install it, look at it and start to feel sick...look at all the bits and pieces on the startup page only and my stomach began to roil...look at it more, try not to throw up...run away screaming and delete the software as quickly as my computer would allow. I had thought it was simply my age and my mind not geared to think that way, or because I was not artsy or crafty. Fortunately, with the better UI and Haven Ditko, a lovely woman I have been fortunate enough to meet, who taught beginning Blender classes in Second Life (SL), I was able to get over this software sickness.

The SL virtual world is pretty amazing and allows for the use of things like video conferencing, voice usages, and real time screen sharing. The first thing Haven did was explain to us exactly what Blender is, what you can do with it (i.e. make 3D buildings & clothing, create textures for our items, create poses and animations, create sculpties, etc.) for Second Life purposes. The education was framed to practical information to the SL venue, which made it much easier to comprehend, and she told us to IGNORE all the buttons and settings because you don't have to use all of them...some never! Whew! This small but extremely important bits of information has gone a long way for many of us to learn Blender and be less afraid.

Haven broke down each lesson into very small, compact bits of information so a person didn't get too overwhelmed. While it was too slow for many, you could follow along with her screen sharing, hear her voice as she spoke, you could ask questions or to have informatoin repeated. For those of use who were never exposed to 3d modeling previously (were other classes by other educators as well for things like Gimp, Photoshop, Animation creation, Sound preparation/importation, In-World primitive building, etc.) it was ooooo.....aaaaahhh. It was virtual classroom training at it's must fundamental level. Unfortunately, due to her time limitations and other factors, Haven is no longer teaching in world. However, the good news is she does have a YouTube channel and has re-created her beginning Blender class. Also, she has beginning Marvelous Designer classes, to share with folks. People do need to be aware though most of the information is specifically related to SL but, the information applies to outside of SL as well.

Another great resource, and I believe they just updated this site to make it easier to find things, is CGCookies. com. They have an Introductory Blender Course, which I just took and reaffirmed what I already know. I believe the first part of the course is FREE; however some of the later portions of the course may require membership. I would recommend the course to everyone wishing to learn Blender. They also offer other tutorials, some are free, some you must be a paid member of the site to take the classes. The classes appear to be created to be similar to http://www.lynda.com and http://www.digitaltutors.com, which each have different course offerings and level of participation financially. Professional Distance Learning if you will.

LOL...see what you made me do! Another long boring post! But seriously, I think the more resources we can share with one another makes each of us more robust in our knowledge base, which to me, from a beginner and a hobbyist perspective, is a very good thing. Nothing feels better to me than being able to share what little I know to help others along their life's journey.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:59 pm

What you described as your initial reaction to Blender, was mine also. But I never went back to it! With ZBrush, it's *almost* the same: I ignore a HUGE portion of it, and concentrate on the things that interest me the most. But even though the interface is just as complex, somehow, I can find things when I need them.
*shrug* To each, their own. Vive la difference!