Avatar poses to help with draping?

Is there an entire process you would like to see in a written or video tutorial? If so, put your request here so that experienced users know what content you are looking for.
wetcircuit

Avatar poses to help with draping?

Post by wetcircuit » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm not actually sure if this is possible but it seems like it should be...

I'm using a figure-building program that needs imported clothes to fit a very rigid T-pose.... I'm realizing how bad this is for the shoulders once the figure is actually moving or standing in a more natural pose, the texture gets stretched and there aren't as many polygons where they are needed....

The workflow I imagine is something like:
rig the avatar and import into MD
save a "pose" or set a keyframe in the awful T-pose
create a more natural (akimbo?) pose for draping as a different pose/keyframe
Animate the finished clothing from A-pose to T-pose
Export just the T-pose keyframe...

It's not quite like the other tutorials, in that it is more about workflow than specific features of MD.... I guess where it is most muddy for me is how I can use the animation feature for this and whether I should be importing a rigged (collada?) avatar, or multiple OBJ, or an OBJ sequence...?

Thanks for considering.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Avatar poses to help with draping?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 pm

I asked a similar question a while back in the official forum. The answer is not animation, its a morph target. Vintorix gave me this solution:

1) Load the Avatar and set start pose using X-Ray joints
2) File/Save as/Pose (p1)
3) Adjust the Avatar to set end pose
4) File/Save as/Pose (p2)
5) Load the start pose (p1)
6) Open the the garment file / create the garment
7) Load the end pose (p2) and the Simulation will run

This worked perfectly for me. Your P1 can be the A pose for draping and P2 can be your required T pose. There are more complicated scenarios and solutions, but for an A to T this should be very efficient.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 am

Lori is correct: MD will do the animation, if you provide it with a start and end posed figure.
You just have to be **extremely** careful that you use the EXACT same figure for both the start and end: don't change ANYTHING except the pose between the two figures. MD will not recognize the two if there is even one vertex that has been altered. (Don't add or subtract anything like hair or shoes, etc.)

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Ahh! thank you! I will experiment!