Early Elizabethan dress

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
orilles

Re: Early Elizabethan dress

Post by orilles » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 am

i was wondering what you will do with this dress once its completed?

if you are interested in historical western dress patterns, please consider getting this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Patterns-Fashi ... 0333136063

it will really help you a lot.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:42 am

Hehe.. Yup, I already have a couple of the Janet Arnold books. Expensive, but worth it for the research quality. :D

As for what I will do with it: the dress is offered as a MD garment freebie, over in my ShareCG portfolio. I *may* do variations for myself, for images, but there's a lot on my plate just now (getting into the final paperwork for retirement and don't have much time for creativity just now.)

orilles

Post by orilles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:16 am

what other books of hers or similar do you recommend?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:37 pm

I also have her "Patterns of Fashion 2" which covers mid-Victorian to early 20th Century dresses. As well, several other books with Victorian patterns.
But there are so many online resources now: any quick search can bring up historical patterns which are no longer covered by copyright.
I did a thread with some of these (and modern patterns as well) http://www.marvelousdesignerhelp.com/vi ... f=22&t=131

(Soapbox time:
But a dress pattern by itself often does not produce the desired results. Many people tend to forget the support structure provided by undergarments. These were just as important to a given era's shape profile as the outer garment. In terms of 3D costuming, you may need to start with an avatar with the right shape (for a corset, or with breast binding) as MD does not alter the shape of the avatar (unlike real-world clothing). Any support structure for skirts will have to be planned as well: such as crinolines or petticoats, as well as considering stiffened materials to represent interfacing or buckram linings in specific areas of a garment.)