Early Elizabethan dress

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Early Elizabethan dress

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:15 pm

I have been working through a basic Elizabethan dress with someone over at the other forum. I will be posting it as a freebie in a week or so.
It has a number of 'tricks' used to aid in the construction, so it will pay to poke into the property settings of the seams and materials. I'll post more info later.

Here's the nearly complete dress (a few tweaks to go, still)

LoriGriffiths

Re: Early Elizabethan dress

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm

That's beautiful Rosemary.

Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with everyone.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Heh. Thanks, Lori!

(On a side note, there is now an 'Elizabethan' dress for sale in the MD store.....for $89 you can buy a really badly made item. No foundation garments, no structural support for the sleeve puffs. I just roll my eyes when I see a poorly made historical dress out there... there are so many patterns and so much information that it just makes no sense to me. But hey! If that vendor thinks they can get $89 for it... good for them, -but alas for the buyers!)

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Rosemary,
Who is making content for the MD store? I figured it was you and some of the others. MD did send out a teaser a long time ago that they were going to let others make content for the store. They asked for opinions on the matter. I replied and never heard anything back. No surprise there. MD and I have a love / hate thing going on.

Did you hear more about that? Did they offer it to you and you declined?

If I set up a store and let you sell your stuff would you be interested? I have a pretty big audience that I could drive there, so you might make a bit of money. I know your garments are high end and we'd be exclusive as to what we sell.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:44 am

LoriGriffiths wrote:Rosemary,
Who is making content for the MD store? I figured it was you and some of the others. MD did send out a teaser a long time ago that they were going to let others make content for the store. They asked for opinions on the matter. I replied and never heard anything back. No surprise there. MD and I have a love / hate thing going on.

Did you hear more about that? Did they offer it to you and you declined?

If I set up a store and let you sell your stuff would you be interested? I have a pretty big audience that I could drive there, so you might make a bit of money. I know your garments are high end and we'd be exclusive as to what we sell.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I began prepping a number of items for them, but the last time I contacted them, saying this:

"I am just about ready (finally!) to try to put some items into the MD store. But, I would like some information about the proper formatting of any such submissions: Do you have a standard submissions page? How many/what sizes of promo pictures? Any file size limits? Any information would be gratefully accepted."

The reply was:

"Regard to our WEB Shop, please do understand that
opening the allowance for user vendor is currently TBC.
It's still under discussion along with policy.
Therefore, previous contract contents are all pending now.
We wish to hand our a good news along with solution soon.

All the best,
Marvelous Designer Team. "

I haven't heard anything since then.
I will be retiring from my full-time job at the end of this year (unless my saving gets wiped out by a stock market crash!), so I wouldn't be doing much more output until then. But, your suggestion is certainly appealing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Why they don't get some people that speak decent English never ceases to amaze me. Anyway, I think a store would be great.

I've got my free videos on YouTube and some free project files on Fearless. PatternMaker PRO is great for people that want to make custom things themselves. I'm working on a new learning site with actual classes. I think a store is the final thing. There are lots of people who just do not want to make the clothing. Are you interested in custom work, too?

I'll figure out how this would work and get in touch with you later. I don't think it would be on any of my existing sites. Do you have any interesting name ideas for the store?

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:45 am

I am a bit hesitant about 'custom work'. In the past, I have found that trying to bend over backwards to match someone else's ideas, when they have no clue (or don't care) about just how much work it takes to make 20 or 30 changes on one seam, just ends up with me being completely frustrated.
I much prefer to just do the things *I* care about, or take a (very) general concept from someone, as I get more satisfaction that way.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:42 pm

I have uploaded two versions of the basic Elizabethan dress, to my ShareCG account:

https://www.sharecg.com/v/88609/view/5/ ... r-Avatar-C

https://www.sharecg.com/v/88609/view/5/ ... r-Avatar-A

There are a few slight differences, mostly in the bodice area, as the Asian woman has a smaller breast measurement, which needs a different cut of some pieces (and slightly different posture in the avatar, as well). Included in the zip are some pics with tips on construction.

pallashan3

Post by pallashan3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi thanks for sharing! I was wonder if you new how to go about making an Elizabethan dress with the ruffles at the back? :)
Like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... resses.jpg

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 am

*chuckle*
First, that is a Victorian era dress, not Elizabethan. (Sorry, just my historical correctness in play there. Hope I didn't offend!)

As to *how* to make it, there are two ways.
First, the way that the actual dresses made their trains: strips of tape were suspended, and the bustle/train was gathered up onto the strips.
There are several posts that describe this method:
http://bonesandlilies.blogspot.com/2015 ... -easy.html
http://historicalsewing.com/tutorials/h ... stle-skirt and it's associated video (for those that like such):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW0M4h0HnAI
http://historicalsewing.com/constructin ... stle-dress

The second way, is to gather the over-skirt/bustle directly onto the under-skirt layer. I used this method here:
https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/commu ... dLearn/409 Look at the image about half-way down page 7 of this thread (sorry can't get the link to work directly): the blue over-skirt layer is gathered up with tacks directly onto the lower (green) skirt layer.

The main thing to realize, is that the over layer should be quite a bit larger than you might think, in order to provide for the 'puffs' created by the gathering effect.
The ruffles at the bottom are merely long strips of pleating sewn onto the bottom of the bustle piece. Pleating is a whole 'nother thing to explain.