How to make a medical face mask?

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
Feracon

How to make a medical face mask?

Post by Feracon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make a simple medical face mask with elastics that go around the ears and pleats allowing it to expand over the face. I know that I can make the actual mask portion without help, but is it possible to make strap elastics in MD? Reference images below, any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

LoriGriffiths

Re: How to make a medical face mask?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:38 pm

You can create strips of fabric and then set the Elastic property on the edges. The hardest part will be looping the straps over the ears. They won't stay in place because the behind-the-ear cavity is small. You'll want to use pins to pin the straps to the avatar's head/ears.

Good luck.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm

I would make an **invisible** supporting (wide) strap that reaches all the way around the back of the head. The width would be the same as the edge of the pleated/gathered front section. Cut holes for the ears (to avoid any issues with the mesh of the ears).

Then the 'ear loops' that are visible become purely cosmetic: just sew a strip down to make it *appear* as if they are holding the front section on.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Great suggestion Rosemary. I always forget about using invisible supports. I get too hung up on the "real" stuff.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 pm

It's a mixture of real-world solutions (think skin-colored sheer net, such as used by ice skaters for their more, hmmm, suggestive, costumes), and 3D work, where such supports can be deleted later, if it is not wanted/needed.