Creation of an Indian Dhoti

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Re: Creation of an Indian Dhoti

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 am

Last major step, sew down the front pleated section onto the waistband to secure it.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:40 am

After that, it is a matter of making minor adjustments to improve the appearance. Start playing with the layout and patterns to suit how you want things to look.

Here, I altered the bottom of the front pleated section to shorten it, and to give visible interest to the pleating.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:46 am

Other things that can be done:
Shortening the vertical measurements to create more of a 'shorts' length garment.
After sewing, remove (or shorten) the internal lines on the pleats, to soften the folds.
The (first) pleated section can be made much shorter on the horizontal line, with fewer pleated sections, to reduce the drape that hangs between the legs.

----------------

Again, this is only one way to approach the garment's construction. Don't be afraid to experiment with the techniques, and try other methods that suit you better.

patelbros

Post by patelbros » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:36 am

Thank You Madam,
I am really happy for this guided tutorial on the creation process of the Indian Dhoti :D . I can't thank you enough :) for this, I will definitely try to follow this tutorial and try to create the dhoti for my child model. I will post my finished work in the, "Work In Progress" section of the forum for your comments and suggestions on the output. Once again thanks a million Madam Rose Mary you are really a good tutor and I look forward to your guidance in future too. :lol:

naruto1712

Post by naruto1712 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks providing us the this tutorial for creating the dhothi.

But I have a problem in a certain point.

After this step

"When you have pulled the pleated section high enough, you may need to also pull *down* the back sides of the central section to clear the waistband."

Once I pull the stitched material out of the 1st material that doesn't go well.

Please guide me how to fix this issue.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri May 12, 2017 2:31 pm

naruto1712 wrote:Thanks providing us the this tutorial for creating the dhothi.

But I have a problem in a certain point.

After this step

"When you have pulled the pleated section high enough, you may need to also pull *down* the back sides of the central section to clear the waistband."

Once I pull the stitched material out of the 1st material that doesn't go well.

Please guide me how to fix this issue.
Because of previous steps that pulled the cloth around the sides, it tends to bunch up a bit at the back of the (invisible) waistband. Thus, for the pleated portion to be sewn to the bottom of the invisible waistband (that is holding everything up) you would need to clear the bunching cloth temporarily. If you look at the images, you will see that the pleated portion is held in position with pins, and left hanging there just long enough to pull downwards, and pin out of the way, any excess cloth that is in the way of the seam. Once the seam is sewn and simulated into place, all the pins are deleted, and the cloth will adjust itself naturally.