A BIT LOST ... but "This forum I have just found"

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
FR3D

A BIT LOST ... but "This forum I have just found"

Post by FR3D » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 pm

This forum I have just found filled me with excitement because it was Lori's you tube help that made MD4 possible to use.
(And I'm hoping there are loads more tuts here?)

But its a scary place for a stranger!
(I really hope you don't take offense to my remarks because I'm only saying this "AS A STRANGER" to your forum)

When you first enter here you have a list of things you cant do (Example: You can not reply - You can not post -You can not etc)
I'm used to forums, so I plodded on but .... I know from friends that when they are confronted with rules before they even register? they are out of there ... dam quick!

I can't wait to look through this forum and the only reason I'm here is because of the excellent way all of Lori's tutorials have come across: Easy to understand and very informative.
I have remonstrated to a couple of my scary-cat friends and told them to get back on here to register and take a look, I'm sure they will!

Hope I haven't come across as bossy, I'm not I promise .... I'm just one of those weird English folk! :lol:

LoriGriffiths

Re: A BIT LOST ... but "This forum I have just found"

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:51 am

FR3D, I am not the least bit offended and appreciate the honesty. Where did you see this -

When you first enter here you have a list of things you cant do (Example: You can not reply - You can not post -You can not etc)

If you are a guest and not registered, then you can't do these things. Once you register, you can do them all. We can't leave the forum open to posts from guests. We'd be flooded with SPAM instantly. Even with registration, we get some SPAM that has to be deleted. Everyone is really great about bringing those posts to my attention.

I hope you find lots of useful things here that help you with MD. If you don't find something, just ask. We have great people here and we're glad you joined us.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:22 am

Welcome to the forums, Fr3d!

I think anywhere you go there are some sort of rules but I don't see this Forum having a plethora of them. I think common sense rules here. Do your best to help others. Share what you know. Ask questions and be patient. Be nice to one another. I think those are what really count.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here. I know I do!

FR3D

Post by FR3D » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:19 am

So sorry for such a late reply, (and thank you for being so friendly and welcoming), but I have been scouring the internet for tips , tutorials ANYTHING! that will help me with MD.
I'm so frustrated with myself.

For the first time in my 55 years of attempting something (as long as its creative) I have finally hit a brick wall!
I don't mean to brag but I can simply watch something once, I think awhile and I'm instantly able to create whatever my 'THEN HOBBY' demands of me, I have a strange ability to let my hands produce anything I wish.
Example: I watch someone build a dolls house once and then I produce a dolls mansion .. I pick up a huge piece of wood, plus carving tools and watch as a woman's face appears before me as if by magic?
I never buy furniture if I think i can make it instead, and I always can.
I have immersed myself in so many hobbies over the years and find that within a week I'm selling the things I make, confident that they are good enough to sell .... But this!?
I can't do it!

I start of brilliantly but loose my way somehow and have discarded so many attempts that I'm becoming a collector of half clothed figures wearing unfinished rags!
I have been lucky enough to have had the chance this last week to stay at a friends house and to try out her MD5 (I was only going to visit for a day, now she can't get me off her computer to leave!) :-)
And I must admit it is far superior than MD4 and makes it a lot easier (In lots of ways) but I have still left her computer littered with half naked avatars.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm mortified to stumble across something I can't do! :-O

But I won't give up, and shall struggle on till my 3D figures strut around proudly in beautiful attire and someone will ask to buy one of my creations .. :-)

Lovely to be here and I may drive you crazy with my rambles, questions and screams of frustration ... but everyone knows us creative people have a strange way about us.

When I was a little girl my uncle asked me what i would like to do when i was older, and I said "I want to do everything"!
He smiled kindly as he explained that I wouldn't be able to do 'everything' .... "Why not" I asked, "who said I can't do everything"?
Well, no one has said you can't, its just that ... 'You can't' We all have to adhere to one trade and become professional at that trade.
Or else you will be a 'jack of all trades, master of none.
"Well then, I shall be Jack"! ....... and it was so. :-)

(Mmmm I love wood, it smells so good)
Tia

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Garments look deceptively easy to make. There are a lot of nuances that most take for granted. The fabric, the design lines, the sewing technique and a multitude of other variables make clothing come to life. Doing it in 3D makes it even tougher. Just have a bit of patience and you'll have an 'ah ha' moment, I'm sure.

I am much like you. I have no boundaries and work with wood, paint, fabric, paper, food and anything else I can get my hands on. I thrive on creation and modification. It's a fun way to live and more people should give it a try.

Best of luck to you.

FR3D

Post by FR3D » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:27 pm

I've found my way back after meandering off here and there to play with other things (All 3D related, as it is my passion at the moment)
And strangely enough I did find my ahh haa moment, and it was to do with clothes but not MD!
Zbrush can take all my poor attempts at clothes making and turn them into a garment i would be proud to wear .... and it was so easy!
But this in turn gave me a better insight to MD and i have at last made a lovely 60's style outfit, but i still had to turn to zbrush for the finishing touches.

Have you delved into zbrush yourself?

I have found that if I design the cloth in zbrush and then use this as a visual aid, MD is getting easier ....... but i would so love to know how i could easily cross over a garment (such as a coat ) and make it stay!
The only way i know how at the moment is buy pinning the poor avatar to the jacket!
Have you got a tip for me please?

Tia
I want to make hair ... 3d hair .... my next mission in fact. :-) It has to be easier than MD!

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm unsure what you mean when you say
cross over a garment (such as a coat ) and make it stay!
. Are you trying to put a coat over other garments? I'm not sure why it wouldn't 'stay'. Is the coat penetrating the other garments or is it literally falling off the avatar? If it's falling off, it is likely the wrong size. If it fits well, it should stay in place.

FR3D

Post by FR3D » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Where do i go before finding my way back?

Sorry that question was so vague: what i meant was (as an example) the lapel of a coat, how do I keep that fold without pinning it? :oops:

Well, i think that taking a big break or even deserting MD all together is probably the best idea for me, as all instructions seem to be a foreign language to me.
Maybe i have finally come to that old saying: You can't learn an old dog new tricks?

So I have reverted back to last years hobby of needle felting! :-)

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm

FR3D wrote:Where do i go before finding my way back?

Sorry that question was so vague: what i meant was (as an example) the lapel of a coat, how do I keep that fold without pinning it? :oops:

Well, i think that taking a big break or even deserting MD all together is probably the best idea for me, as all instructions seem to be a foreign language to me.
Maybe i have finally come to that old saying: You can't learn an old dog new tricks?

So I have reverted back to last years hobby of needle felting! :-)
I had to look needle felting up and the images look like fun! There is nothing wrong with taking a break and enjoying something you like to do.

Usually, what I do when learning, is take many needed breaks and go back to what I know for a bit. Get my self confidence back up, then tackle the thing again. I been trying to learn Blender for nearly 10 years and finally feel as if I can make a few things in the program. Each time, I learn a bit, stop, go do something else, then come back to it. Same has happened with MD. It is all starts and stops.

Don't give up! Learning takes time just like learning to sew in real life. I am sure it would take me a long time to learn needle felting and make it turn out okay. Same goes for MD. This is not a race, take learning at your own pace.

Have you watched Lori's videos on https://www.fearlessmakers.com/category ... re/page/2/ or on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Tvrd ... Gs2tjnalsA ? If not you can learn a lot from them, I know I have and still do. And, if you are struggling with patterns, check out Pattern Maker Pro https://patternmakerpro.com/. I rewatch the videos plus refer to a few other sources from time to time and pick up what I missed the first time.

Take learning in little steps. Look for learning resources that make sense to you. Don't worry if it makes sense to anyone else! We all learn differently, at different paces, and length of time.

If you don't want to pin a fold and do not need it to simulate, right click on the pattern piece or, pieces in the model window and chose freeze. The piece will remain frozen and in place. You may need to freeze additional pieces as well. Just remember to unfreeze it for your final simulation.

FR3D

Post by FR3D » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Thank you so much for all that advice, i will certainly be looking at the links in a short moment!
I really would love to get my head around MD so I won't be giving up just yet.

As you say, a break seems to do the trick and i really do love needle felting although this time I'm taking another direction and making needle felted dolls with ball joints ... a very strange direction for me to take as I used to do this with polymer clay, but can't see why it wouldn't work with hardened wool?
This is totally experimenting but I 'kind of' achieved it with crochet so ...... I have to try.... and so far so good!

Thank you so much for your reply and I'm now off to look at your links. x