exporting jeans to daz with visible decorative seams?

Create posts showing how things are done or link to outside pages to help others find valuable resources.
Marreske

exporting jeans to daz with visible decorative seams?

Post by Marreske » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello,
Trying to get initial grasp of MD I more or less succeeded to make jeans shorts, but when I exported them through OBJ to Daz all the decorative sewing/seams are not visible. Is there a way to export the jeans so the decorative sewing/seams to become visible or the only way is to apply stitch textures?

LoriGriffiths

Re: exporting jeans to daz with visible decorative seams?

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm not a DAZ person, but I'll try to help. Stitches in MD are individual OBJ objects. The seams you see in the 3D window in MD are created with normal maps. You'll have to apply texture maps in DAZ to get the same affect, I think.

Marreske

Post by Marreske » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:03 am

Thanks. I guessed so. The other solution is to upgrade to MD 7 I presume and to use top stitches. Unfortunately my PC is somewhat outdated for MD 7+.

May I ask about the sewing line type too - what exactly does the "turned" type? Unfortunately the picture in the official MD manual is broken and w/o picture the manual is useless for this. I searched Youtube but didn't find a suitable tutorial so if you know such tutorial or a link will be highly appreciated; probably a mere picture with short explanation will be enough.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Sewing line types are really all about the Fold Angle of the sewn seam. Fold Angle is also a component of internal lines and that is really the easiest way to illustrate the concept.

When you sew two patterns together that surround the body, like a t-shirt (both patterns facing the same way, away from the body), you generally want the seam to be flat. The patterns are edge to edge and the angle of the patterns at the seam is 180 degrees to each other.

If you sew a cuff to a sleeve and you want that cuff to be folded back, you would want a turned seam. This means that the two patterns at the seam are not flat to each other. For this cuff example, you want the fold to be right sides together, which is the 0 degree seam Fold Angle.

Fold Angles are so important that MD colors internal lines differently depending on this property. The main reason they did this is for pleating. If the angle is 180, or flat, the line is a dark red (center line in image). If the fold angle is 0, then the line is a bright red (left line in image). If the fold angle is 360, the line is blue (right line in image). I don't recall which MD version started coloring these lines, so you might not see this.

You can clearly see in the image that there is a sharp fold pushing the wrong sides of the fabric together with the bright red line at 0. The dark red line at 180 is doing nothing. The blue line is pulling the right sides of the fabric together with 360.

They have changed this drop-down in version 7.5. Now the Sewing Line Types are Turned or Custom Angle. If the Turned option is selected, the Fold Strength and Fold Angle sliders are grey and not usable. Custom Angle allows you to change the sliders.
Attachments
FoldAngle.png
FoldAngle.png (52.82 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

Marreske

Post by Marreske » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Is this something like the screen? To accommodate for the folded cuff seam to the sleeve to look more natural?
Attachments
Turned_Seam.jpg
Turned_Seam.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

Marreske

Post by Marreske » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Just saw you have answered to my question about the cloning patters on youtube, so I am reposting it here:

Can only the part 1 of the pattern on the screen be selected to be copied in any other way besides cutting it (it is outlined from both external and internal lines and my problem is I cannot select only this part to be able to copy it):
Attachments
pattern.jpg
pattern.jpg (20.98 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Use the Trace tool to select just that corner for copying/cloning. You can get more info on the trace tool from the MD manual, or you can purchase my web-book.

https://www.understandingmarvelousdesigner.com/

There's a lot of info in there that you might find useful.