Indian Saree

Show us your stuff! Beginner's and more advanced MD users are welcome to show their creations. Whether it is your first or your 100th, we'd love to see it.
LoriGriffiths

Indian Saree

Post by LoriGriffiths » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:33 pm

I had a  tutorial request for clothing from India and decided to start with a saree. I know why you don't see these often. This was really, really hard. I started off trying to sew it. That's didn't work at all. I was watching YouTube videos and everything is draped. There is no sewing, just a lot of tucking and folding.
    When I realized I couldn't sew it, I thought maybe I'd try to drape it. It became an obsession and I just kept at it . . for almost a full day. There's no way I can create a tutorial on this, but I had to finish it and share it.
    This is 5.9 yards of fabric in one piece! There isn't a single seam (not counting the top). Everything is draped and pinned to the Avatar. I kept expecting MD to crash at some point, but it held in there. Major kudos to MD for creating such a realistic draping simulation that a saree can actually be created.
    I've included a 2D window shot, so you can see the fabric. I have some internal lines for pleating the pallu, which they do in real life. I'm not in any hurry to do this again, but it was a real learning experience.
Front.png
Front Shot
Front.png (188.89 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
Back.png
Back Shot
Back.png (177.61 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
Side.png
Side Shot
Side.png (203.37 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
FabricLayout.jpg
2D Window Layout
FabricLayout.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 5021 times

ToyMcBride

Re: Indian Saree

Post by ToyMcBride » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:18 pm

That is really pretty :)

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you, that's very kind.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Amazing!

sameer

Post by sameer » Thu May 19, 2016 7:38 am

As an Indian, this is pretty amazing to see. Great job!

al-kabeer.m-asim-j

Post by al-kabeer.m-asim-j » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Really a Hard work you've done.......!
:roll:

Generation25

Post by Generation25 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:29 am

Hi loris;

My name is Marc, I am currently working as a 3D modeler on PROKO. I have seen in the forum that a while ago, you were preparing a tutorial to make a saree. I have to do the design of a female cartoon character, wearing a saree. I do not have much experience in Marvelous Designer, and I need to do this urgently. Please if you can send me the tutorial (although it is not finished), or the patron, for me it would be very helpful.

If it is necessary buy it, that is not going to be a problem.

I hope you can respond to me as soon as possible Loris.

Please is urgent.

Thank you very much in advance.

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 pm

I won't be making a tutorial on this. It was very difficult and hard to explain. I used a big piece of fabric and a lot of pins to do it.

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am

I spent six months working in the middle east some years ago, and was immediately struck by the elegant beauty and simplicity of the saree. They're also eminently sexy. I bought a bunch of them for my wife and daughter (she wore one to her prom and was a big hit), and found the prices more than reasonable. I also bought reams of fabric to send home but that's another story.

Anyway, it seems that one can buy sarrees already pleated and ready to wear, called an 'automatic' saree. The traditional way, and there are several, uses lots of gathers arranged in pleats. Here's two links detailing the method... https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-wear-a-sari-1770006 and... http://www.shalusharma.com/how-to-wear-saree/ Hopefully these examples will help anyone making one in MD.

wetcircuit

Post by wetcircuit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Bob wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am
Here's two links detailing the method... https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-wear-a-sari-1770006 and... http://www.shalusharma.com/how-to-wear-saree/ Hopefully these examples will help anyone making one in MD.
I love resources like this!!! Thank you!