Edwardian dress animation test

Show us your stuff! Beginner's and more advanced MD users are welcome to show their creations. Whether it is your first or your 100th, we'd love to see it.
Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Edwardian dress animation test

Post by Rosemaryr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 pm

https://youtu.be/1vG3K9yNYoE

Testing of multiple layer interactions in Marvelous Designer: There are two visible skirt layers, and two foundation layers (acting as the crinoline form for the outfit). Some twitchy-ness at the hips where the layers come together, but overall the animation works well, I think.

I think a jacket will cover the worst of the twitches, so that will be next to create.

LoriGriffiths

Re: Edwardian dress animation test

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Wow, that worked out much better than I would have anticipated. I've avoided layered garments in animation for a long time. It used to be a disaster with all kinds of penetration.

It looks like MD has really been working on it. That was a great video. Thanks for sharing it.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 pm

One trick I've come up with is to scale the time of the animation: create the catwalk sim calculation at half-speed (ie., two times longer to do the 'walk' than normal), then use a faster play-back speed to bring it back to a normal play-time. My first experiments with this dress was at the normal animation settings, and the long, fast stride the avatar uses was really kicking up the skirts quite a bit. By having the walk take longer and the stride be slower, the results looks more dignified, which fits the era's 'style' better. The longer sim time also seemed to reduce the confusion of fast moving layers conflicting with each other.
(But, of course, it takes much longer to do that initial calculation of the animation.)

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 pm

I have added several more catwalk animations, of garments that I have been working on in the past few years. Several you may recognize from still images I have already posted.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfwimk ... soQ/videos

LoriGriffiths

Post by LoriGriffiths » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Those are fun to watch. Thanks for posting them up to YouTube for us to see.