Long Sleeved Dress for SL

Show us your stuff! Beginner's and more advanced MD users are welcome to show their creations. Whether it is your first or your 100th, we'd love to see it.
MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Long Sleeved Dress for SL

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:10 am

Here is the latest project I have been working in MD for Second Life. For best fit, without darts, I made the front & back bodice in two pieces each to allow better fitting options without darts. The skirt is 2 pattern pieces as is the belt, collar and cuffs. The dress makes use of existing In-World textures rather than requiring the use of a UV & AO map and graphic software use for better In-world alignment. You will notice the texture between the MD & SL pics are the same texture just different repeats in SL. It is rigged with the initial weighting of Avastar, which surprised me and works pretty good, although it does need weight painting work when walking.

I am afraid weight painting in Blender eludes me and other softwares are out of my budget range. If anyone has a good tutorial link (video or text) for weight painting in Blender, especially if related to SL, would love to see them posted.

Happy Creating!
Morgaine
Attachments
Snapshot_002.png
Snapshot_002.png (925.5 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Good SL Default Long Sleeve Dress.png
Good SL Default Long Sleeve Dress.png (212.02 KiB) Viewed 2795 times

LoriGriffiths

Re: Long Sleeved Dress for SL

Post by LoriGriffiths » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:36 pm

I know nothing of Second Life, but I think this is really nice. Major kudos for doing the best you can without spending lots of money on fancy software.

MorgaineChristensen
VIP
VIP

Post by MorgaineChristensen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks! It is a learning curve to say the least since it entails so many programs to deal with to just make the darn thing and wear.

I most certainly hope with the new platform they are working on, they give some tremendous thought to making a better model to work with. That is if, they even allow us to create in the new platform. Is what I enjoy most about Second Life being able to create things.

I look forward to other gallery posts.

Happy Creating!
Morgaine

ToyMcBride

Post by ToyMcBride » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:15 pm

I am in the same boat as you Morgaine Christensen - I am also learning to make clothes for a Second Life virtual world, MD is great so far, I blow out when I get to blender, I got the rigging down ok and I am using a already weighted body suit but know really nothing about weighting, I am also stuck on the UV Image...always searching for tutorials to help but it is hard work, MD is the fun part I fine I just finished this dress tonight in MD, not too shabby and very basic but I am happy with it :)

Did you texture your dress in blender? BTW it's a very cool fun dress :)
Attachments
simple strapless long dress.jpg
simple strapless long dress.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 2635 times