Arm pose in MD for Poser clothing

Is Poser your favorite? Having issues using MD with Poser? Ask for help or help others here.
Bob

Arm pose in MD for Poser clothing

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:10 pm

I've noticed that MD (I have 7) uses a pose where the arms are raised only about 45º when building clothing, while Poser's normal default pose is with arms stuck out straight. I'm assuming that I should keep my imported Vicky and Mike Four with his/her arms raised straight? I might want to share the clothing if it's not horrible and this is what people (and Poser) will expect.
Thanks for any comments.
Bob

wetcircuit

Re: Arm pose in MD for Poser clothing

Post by wetcircuit » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:45 am

If you've imported the figure as FBX, it is easy. Once you load the avatar in MD, save the T-pose as a pose:
FILE –> SAVE AS –> POSE

Next adjust the joints into a working A-pose and save this pose too.

As you build the clothing you can load the A or T poses as needed. As long as the simulation is running the avatar will smoothly transition into the new pose and the clothing will follow.

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

An additional solution (since you wish to share your garments) is to create the garment is whatever pose works best for you, and then either tell the users what pose settings you used, or include a pose file for that Poser avatar's arm position.

As a note: the T-pose is used because most Poser clothing is created to be conforming, and the garments will be given it's joint controls and bending parameters based on the avatar figure. As a result, the shoulders of any clothing will actually stretch as the arms are lowered... which can be seen in any textures that are applied.
On the other hand, the A-pose is more 'natural' for dynamic clothing creation, which is the Poser designation for what MD does: cloth sits on the shoulders properly. If the arms are raised, then the excess cloth will bunch up a bit there, just as it would in real life. You can see this in the picture from this thread: http://www.marvelousdesignerhelp.com/vi ... f=22&t=605

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:53 pm

...or I could add the extra material to the shoulders when posed in the 'T' pose. I'll just use MD's default pose since it'll be much easier to model some of the involved outfits I'm planning.
As an aside, I'm an experienced CG artist who's also no stranger to a sewing machine. This made it straight forward for me to get my head around how MD works and NOT think like Blender. I also make paper models ( http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ ) and I found that having a knowledge of how to make a stiff material like cardstock fit a body, helps visualize clothing design in MD.
Thanks muchly for the topical answer.
Bob

Rosemaryr
VIP
VIP

Post by Rosemaryr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:53 am

Yup, the real-world sewing experience will make your work in MD much, much easier. I am the same way: couldn't really get comfortable with the traditional modeling methods, but when MD came along I was SOOOO thrilled!